No announcement yet.

The Frankenprotege rallycar worklog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll let the navvie get scared of the rate of knots. That ain't info I need to know
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Co'ing for Weaver I never once had the TerrorTrip set to speed.. except that one transit were we weren't sure if the speedo was accurate and there was a cop following us.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
      1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
      1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
      1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
      1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

ugh. I didn't get out to storage to check the axles, sorry man. I did snap a couple pics of the STOCK axles in my blue 4WD, though..

Not that they help a lot, since you've got another one to look at anyway, but here they are anyway..

--sarge
        Attached Files

Comment

hello jay,

i think i am on the same point than you and maybe my picutures can help you a little bit!

cheers, alex

Comment

No, the thread isn't quite dead yet...
            Now that the engine/trans is in the car (both upper mounts pretty much done), we've got a much better idea as to what we're up against with the front halfshafts. At full droop, we're looking at hyperextended CV's. Well, the front of the car is sitting a bit too high with this suspension as it is. So we've decided that the easiest, least spendy thing to do is raise the strut towers an inch and a half, lowering the front of the car to match the back and making the lower travel limit coincide with the CV travel limit. So out come the plasma cutter and welder....
            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

That's gnarly dude. Think it'll be driving for the Mt. St. Helens drive?

1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead

Comment

Is it just me... Are those aluminum spacers on your swaybar end links? The tranny looks like you've got it fitted about as well as you can, huh..?

-Jon

Comment

Those *do* rather look like alum. bushings, don't they... hmm. And yes, this swap is stuffing the turkey near to bursting, no doubt about it.

The St. Helens drive would be a nice way of breaking it in some, we'll just hafta see how it goes. After swearing up n down that we'd make Olympus 3 friggen months ago, I ain't predicitin nuthin no mo.

PS thanx for the pix. We need all the info we can get our grubby mitts on.

Comment

Either way it'll be good to see you. Also.. I don't know if you recognized my new gtx... but you might in person.

Comment

Jay,

It's great to hear that progress is continuing...I was beginning to wonder. Keep it up. I think the strength of that gearbox will, in the end, be worth the effort.

Regards,
                      Joel
                      1988 323 GTX - Heavily modified

DJT Motorsports (Oak Park, MI) - like no other

Comment

Awesome. good to see you getting somewhere on that thing. Sad that you don't have it for the Boise Rally this weekend. I'm playing crew to a friend with a '92 MR2, mildly frank'ed. He's never raced before, so he's just hoping to stay on the road this go round.

Oh and his name is Jay too. More awesome.
                        No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Sarge asked in Teq's build thread about making Doowop with this silly car and rather than put more irrelevant info in his thread, I hadda go dig up this one.
                          Cuz after pretty much no work at all being done to it all summer, we made some progress today. Engine/trans are in the car, supported by at least the 2 upper mounts. This is kind of a big deal, since once we know for sure where the damn thing is gonna sit, we can make the lower mounts and mod the xmember. It looks like maybe going with the ST 185 front halfshafts might solve the hyperextention problem we're getting with these ST205 shafts. Now we know, you wanna use ST205 in back so you won't need spacers, and ST185 in front so they don't bind. WE are gonna try, really hard, to get the thing running and sorted in time for the doowop rally March 19....
                          Last edited by jay; 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Actually, that was WorldHazard, not me. But that's too bad 'bout the hyperextension. How much distance are we talking?

You're running the GTR hubs, right? What's the ball joint like on those, is it remotely close to working with the longer RX7 one?

--sarge

Comment

What is the pertinent info for the RX7 ball joints? I only found out about them yesterday and I'm definitely bottoming out one of my CVs.
                              Loose nut behind the wheel...

Comment

dang Jay, this is quite a task you're taking on. wish i had the time to come up there and give ya a hand on a weekend
                                1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                                Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                                "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Working...
                                X