Shifter Bushings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter Bushings...

Ok I have been having problems shifting into first sometimes... it is stiff almost and I have to PUSH it into first... it doesn't really grind but there is some wierd feelings coming through the shifter when I do... anyways I have heard that the bushings for the shifter can go bad... Do they make urethane bushings? If so where could I get some....its a 93 DX with 200,600 miles on it and running good...thanks guyz...

contact Gro Harlem, he had some bushings made a while back, he may still have some or direct you towards where to get them. Mind you these are for the connector rod bushings, not the shifter bushings (aka bronzeoil bushings)

you can get the bronzeoil shifter bushings at Corksport.

BTW, do you have a short shifter?

Comment

Have you tried changing your gear oil? The fill isn't intuitive or easy to get to so it's often neglected. Try that before you start replacing bushings, i'll bet some fresh lube will make a world of difference.
      '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
      '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
      '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
      '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
      '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
      '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

No I don't have a short shifter... just a bone stock daily driver. Yeah I put in Moble 1 synthetic gear oil... Didn't help any... I was told it was the syncros or the shifter bushings so I am just trying to get that fixed... I hate it when I am trying to downshift into 1st and I have to cram it in there....

Thanks guys

Comment

You shouldn't have to down shift to first ...
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Get some bronzeoil bushings, I wrote a review in "Performance Part Reviews"... they help a lot.
            '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
            '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
            '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
            '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
            '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
            '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
              You shouldn't have to down shift to first ...
              ok... well in bumper to bumper city traffic between lights you do... you go about the speed thats too slow for 2nd yet a little too high for 1st... I hate the city...

Anyways point being that its tough to hit first when still coasting to a stop after its been in neutral...probably the syncs just feeling all of those 200,000 miles.

Comment

you can start in second.....you shouldnt be downshifting to first unless you are going under 10mph and even that is pushing it....
                91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
                Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

Ok like most people do when they come to a stop if in 2nd you begin to put the clutch in and bring it to neutral as you are slowing down... then before you completely stop the light turns green and you are only going a few mph.... then with the clutch in and the brake pressed you shift into 1st while coasting and start off to the next light....same thing....it all just depends on traffic really...anyways I am not going to explain anymore....you just can't without actually speaking... Anyways regardless whenever I need to start in first it seems once the car is warmed up it likes to be difficult to get into gear...

Comment

next time try this,

before you shift into 1st (with the clutch still pressed in) shift to 2nd, then into 1st. it should glide right in.

OR

double clutch it, meaning, clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, shift to 1st.

also double check your brake fluid is full (the hydraulic clutch is fed off the brake master cyl) then bleed the clutch slave (at the front motor mount) if it's still hard to shift, it may be an internal problem or back to the bushings.

Could be a bent connecting rod.

Check the shifter socket rings, throw some lube in them when you do.

Comment

Well I did notice I started have a a slow drop in idle when I am sitting with the clutch pressed in and waiting at a stop light...it just slows down a couple hundred rpm...wierd

Comment

Originally posted by TOOL
                        Ok like most people do when they come to a stop if in 2nd you begin to put the clutch in and bring it to neutral as you are slowing down... then before you completely stop the light turns green and you are only going a few mph.... then with the clutch in and the brake pressed you shift into 1st while coasting and start off to the next light....same thing....it all just depends on traffic really...anyways I am not going to explain anymore....you just can't without actually speaking... Anyways regardless whenever I need to start in first it seems once the car is warmed up it likes to be difficult to get into gear...
                        ohhhh.....when you said downshifting i get the idea of going 20mph and drop to first to compression brake....my bad dude...
                        91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.