93 DX Started smoking.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 DX Started smoking.....

I don’t get it… I noticed that after my 93 DX w/201,000 miles sits for about a full day now that it starts smoking. Seems that as soon as I start my car it takes about a full 5 seconds before…. Puff a cloud of smoke pours out the tailpipe. IT only lasts about 1-2 full minutes and stops after that… it doesn’t smoke when I am driving and it only does it after it sits around not driven for 24 hours… The smoke is white… and has no smell sweet smell of radiator fluid and it has a smell that I have never been able to put my finger on… I can’t tell what it is… I would think valve seals would be the culprit… Since it only does it on cold startup but I am just not sure of the smell of the smoke… since its winter I can’t tell really if it has a blue tint to it... The only thing I have changed was a stuck open thermostat and that brought the engine up to operating temp finally. Runs great, starts great, idles great, etc… just smokes on startup… what can I do? Thanx fellas…

Change the valve seals.

Comment

Ok well can I use an air compressor and use a tool that plugs into the spark plug hole to keep the valves up while I replace the valve seals and seats... I do this on my 355 Chevy when I need to do valve work... I really don't want to take the head off... this tool is very handy for me for this kind of work... I have yet to do it on anything other than a chevy V8... thanx

Comment

No problem, mine smokes really bad on startup also. In~4 days I used a quart. Thats the only time it smokes. Its kinda my fault though, because I let the motor sit without a valve cover for over a month. Oh well. I start ordering my re-build stuff today. If it all gets here it'll all be done next weekend.

Comment

My 93 DX started doing the same thing when it passed 160,000 miles. I was going to replace the valve seals, then I heard that the new ones will wear out in about six months unless the engine is machined. My car smokes almost every morning when I start it up, but I use a little less than a quart of oil each month so I'll just keep adding oil when it gets low. If you decide to replace your seals, yes you can blow air into the spark plug holes to push the valves up.

Comment

Working...
          X