Valve seals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve seals...

Ok... I pretty much have a valve seal problem... I am dealing with a noisy bunch of HLA's and a smokey start up in cold weather in my 93 DX with 201,000 miles... anyways can the HLA's be changed when the valve seals are done? Also I haven't done a valve seal replacement on anythin other than a V8... what exactly is the process with these 1.8L engines? can a air compressor be used to hold the valves up so I don't have to take the head off? These questions are pretty straight forward with enough info... thanks for the help...

This should give you a few ideas as to what's involved in replacing the valve seals.

-------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
      This should give you a few ideas as to what's involved in replacing the valve seals.

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10394
      Thanks...what was all the talk about the BP valvetrain needs a special $600 tool?

Comment

how to written by bpt323 on how to clean the HLA's.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by TOOL
          Thanks...what was all the talk about the BP valvetrain needs a special $600 tool?
          I am pretty sure you'll be able to figure it out without spending $600 for an authentic tool Just don't waste your time with the Autozone rental tools as they don't work with the BP.
          '91 LX
          '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
          well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Working...
          X