Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

missing/stumbling - blowing smoke

(long post sorry)

Yeah so driving home from Seminole (about 17 miles from my house) on Sunday my car started missing/stumbling like it wasn't firing on all cylinders from a fouled plug. The car was fine on the whole trip, it wasn't until I was back in town and sitting at the stoplight that it started doing this. The car would miss up until about 4k and would smooth out, but did it again if I tried to accelerate fast. I got home and pulled the plugs which looked fine to me, so I put them back in and made sure the wires were ok. Wires looked fine, they are fairly new (as are the plugs, cap, and rotor). I drove the car to work, and it still did it. When I got home later that night I pulled the plugs from the GTR and swapped them out, then took the car for a drive. The car seemed fine at first, but eventually started stumbling again after I hit a stop sign. After that the car started dying at stop signs or when I slowed down for a turn. I drove home and it was cold outside so I said **** it and went inside. The next morning I started up the car and a puff of white smoke came bellowing out which dissapeared after the car warmed up. Later that day I dumped in some Lucas fuel system cleaner and added a qt of oil as it was low. The car seemed like it was running better after that, and it no longer dies at stop signs, but it started missing/stumbling again today. The car does it throughout the rpm range and the engine jerks. I just drove home from work and was spewing out lots of white smoke and there is a burnt smell. I don't currently have the tools to do a compression/leak down test, but will get them if need be.

Quick reference:
    -engine misses/stumbles throughout the rpm range
    -blows white smoke at startup/dissapears after engine warms up (smoke appears to be getting worse)
    -Occasionally dies at stop signs
    -Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter all fairly new

I've concluded that the problem is one of the following, but I have no clue which:
    -head gasket
    -piston rings
    -valve seals

Opinios?

----------------------------------------------------

Problem is Im having a hard time convincing myself to spend alot of money to fix it since Im in the middle of purchasing parts for the gtr swap. I really, really don't wanna dump money into an engine that Im gonna swap out soon anyhow. Im at a loss, and don't know what Im going to/want to do. I really don't feel like walking or buming a ride everywhere either. If I have to, I'll run the gtr n/a for now - lol (NOT!). I don't wanna buy 2 head sets (I'll be using the na head on the gtr). But I dunno, I might have to fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
    Last edited by Marc93lx; 12-04-2004, 04:46 AM.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

i vote head gasket white usually is steam ie coolant.
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Working...
    X