differences between VAFs meters??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

differences between VAFs meters??

Are there any differences between VAFs meters from B6 - BP - BP DOHC ? Or are same only with different springs settings ?

I believe that they vary in size. What do you mean when you say BP - BP DOHC? Do you mean the differences in the 1.8 SOHC and the 1.8 DOHC? If so then I remember Brock mentioning that they both send different signals to the ECU. However I have been running the SOHC VAF on my DOHC for probably a little under a year now and have never had no problems.

I have no idea on the B6 i'd imagine they could interchange though. The 87-88 (I might have the years mixed up) Non-Turbo RX-7s VAF can be used on a BP. Josh known as Gen1GT has dyno proof of the VAF giveing gains all across on his BP. Others say that it only helps out after IIRC something like 6,500 RPMS only. I'm sure Josh has his dyno sheets somewhere around here. I think with tuning he got 8whp on the top end with the mod.

Comment

yes I meaned SOHC to DOHC, I am asking because I don't know which one I have in my car, I kicked out 1.6 SOHC (B6) and changed it to DOHC, but I am not sure if the VAF which came with engine is really for DOHC.
      Engine is after 5500 rpm only reving, I don't feel acceleration I checked anything and last thing is VAF...

Comment

there is no difference......they are lal 2.5" and basically the same.

ANy difference in the part number on the sticker indicates different tuning.

I've used a BP vaf on my festiva motor & a festiva VAF on my 323's 1.8 SOHC. They all seem to interchange w/out issue.
        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

I saw the VAF from DOHC and there is a large bolt from the side,which I haven't on my. I try to put some pics here.

Comment

for some wierd reason my engine did not like like the dohc vaf, but the BP did not mind the sohc vaf. when i swapped the vafs back both engine operated fine.
            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
            So his engine he goosed
            With much too much boost,
            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Here are pics, so look what bolt i meaned.... Any idea what is this for???
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Speedyj
                Here are pics, so look what bolt i meaned.... Any idea what is this for???
                I also have the same thing on my BP VAF i bought awhile back. My SOHC one doesn't have it.

93' 5spd DX
                R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Tweeaks
                  ...However I have been running the SOHC VAF on my DOHC for probably a little under a year now and have never had no problems...
                  So what kind of problems are you never not having?

double negatives... tsk tsk.
                  '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                  '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                  '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                  '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                  '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                  '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Never had a problem. Happy?

Comment

i tried a sohc VAF on a DOHC and it would not rev smoothly...
                      I put the DOHC back with the sohc tubing/piping and it reved very nice...
                      but in the meantime i have an ugly sound when i rev it hard as if i had a civin filter kit..that low burrrr sound .. From what i can see i dont have a vac leaq..any ideas?

Jon

Also i installed a DOHC engine in my LX using the complete SOHC harness and VAF and it runs perfect...I get 30 MPG ..since i have 17's and the SOHC tranny has a longer gear ratio...very nice setup..

Comment

someone should figure out how to use the cone-style VAF's from the K-series V6 engines on the protege.

it is way less restrictive and gives you instantaneous throttle response as compared to the peice of **** flap-style ones that came on the B-series engines.
                        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

It isn't VAF on V6 it is MAF (mass air flow meter) it is totaly different system, without using some electonics to convert signals from MAF to VAF style, it will not work. I think that it isn't big problem with some MCU, but i have not MAF to try it I am thinking about it from summer

Comment

Originally posted by Mackmazda
                            i have an ugly sound when i rev it hard as if i had a civin filter kit..that low burrrr sound .. From what i can see i dont have a vac leaq..any ideas?

Also i installed a DOHC engine in my LX using the complete SOHC harness and VAF and it runs perfect...
                            crappy sound from no VICS? Since the wires arent hooked up sure you will run fine, but the 2nd set of runners wont open on WOT or when 'reving hard' starving the engine making it sound like shiat.

just my guess.
                            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
                            X