Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 protege oil consumption

hi

i have a 93 protege and its burning oil , a lot of oil .
    i checked the compression and its good all over , the plugs are also okay ...

the motor runs awsome and i have no loss of power .

i also checked for leaks , the oil pan gasket is leaky but not enough to cause it.
    it seems to burn 1L for 500km ( im in canada )

anyone encontered this problem before?
    please help

andre

How many miles does your motor have? Does your car smoke for a few minutes after startup? If your valves aren't sealing properly then oil can drip down into your combustion chamber when your car is off and then burn off during the first few minutes when you start then engine.
    '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
    '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
    '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
    '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
    '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
    '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

oil consumption

heres the whole situation.u can take a compression test and still have full specs across the board.but that still does not route out the piston oil rings.now if ur burning oil during normal driving then u have bad oil rings.checked for blue smoke at the tail pipe while the car is running and see.
      now heres the other situation.if u have blue smke on cold start up then u have either bad valve guides or bad vavle seals.if u are driving ur car and u start to decelerate and com to a stop,then u have bad valves seals and guides.i would say u need a valve job. i have never seen a protege with bad oil rings.the next time u drive take a look out ur rear view mirror and see if u see any some.also if u let the car idle for awhile then gas it u might see some blue.if so u need valve seals or vlave guides.

Comment

thanks for the tip

the motor has about 245 000 km .
        i do see some smoke comming from the tail pipe and it runs kinda rough when its cold.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
          did you replace the pcv valve?
          ^^^ always do the $2 things first, you have the SOHC right so you need the PCV valve with the 90 degree elbow.
          '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
          '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
          '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
          '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
          '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
          '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

I have the same problem.. i dont burn it, i never see blue smoke even during hard driving...but i just notice over time it ends up Ive replaced the pcv valve and everything. It got a little better but it still consumes oil. What next? I just replaced my seals about 3-4 months ago.

Comment

oil consumption

Bad rings...no question. Have a leakdown test done at a garage and they can confirm it, but it sounds like you cracked or invetered the ringfs on at least one cylinder. Have done this on my B18 Acura and could not believe it. The car ran OK, did not smoke but used oil like it was going out of style.

You can try running straight 30 weight oil and some restore to see if you can slow down the burn rate. Dont use synthetic oil under these conditions. It will blow by much easier than convetional.

Comment

I couldn't figure out where my oil was going with my old motor. It was the rear main seal. Hope that's not the problem. Replace the PCV valve as TheMAN says.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

i did replace the pcv valve , its . a little better but still burns oil.
                  its actually kinda weird ... every morning when i start it and its cold , it runs rough and idles high ( 2000 rpm )
                  it does that for a fiew minutes and then runs perfect .
                  i even put that restore crap but it dosent seem to be doing much .

Comment

Mine does the same thing. I found that with a new PCV valve and using 5-30 instead of 10-30 oil it burns much less. It only uses about 1 quart per 2000 miles now.

Comment

Originally posted by lscrx
                      ^^^ always do the $2 things first, you have the SOHC right so you need the PCV valve with the 90 degree elbow.
                      What the fu/k??? In croatia PCV valves cost around 30$!!! (in mazda service)
                      One day you are born,
                      The next big milestone
                      you discover go zoom-zoom
                      you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMadness
                        What the fu/k??? In croatia PCV valves cost around 30$!!! (in mazda service)
                        Try www.rockauto.com. The PCV valves listed start around $1.60 and I don't think any of them are over $5.00. They list Croatia as a shipping destination too, but I don't know what to expect for shipping costs. I bought most of the parts for my BP rebuild from them and they ship same day for the most part, and I was very happy with their prices and shipping.

Comment

Man it really suck to have to go back and replace the rings again....thatnx for the advice, ill ook into that.

Comment

What causes it not being broken in properly?

Comment

On my BP I replaced the PCV, fixed all the leaks (camshaft seal, valve cover gasket) and I still put 1/2 a qrt of oil every 600 miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X