Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious oil problem on a B6

Ok, its bad, and you tell me how bad...
    i have a B6-E engine (8 valve, injection) and its burning (or something) a lot of oil, around 1 L per 120 miles, BUT... there are NO OIL LEAKS, and NO BLUE SMOKE at any moment. Here`s the next thing, i found oil (not a lot of it, but its oil) in the intake hose (pics below) and on throttle body which is dirty too. I suppose that it is coming from the hose on the valve cover (not the pcv hose, but the other one). I didn`t change the pcv hose because it works (sucking in when engine is running, and it rattles when you shake it).
    When i start the car (cold engine, cold weather) it smokes white, but i guess that is normal, because when engine warms up, there is no smoke.

Everything is stock on the car and im using (too damn frequently ) valvoline 10w40
    Attached Files
    One day you are born,
    The next big milestone
    you discover go zoom-zoom
    you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

ANYBODY? ANYTHING? This is urgent, please help!
    One day you are born,
    The next big milestone
    you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

Comment

That intake looks dirty from the PCV valve re-circulating the air and what not.

You could have an oil leak at teh ditsy. I know on my b6 (a mechanic friend of mine told me) that the 'O' ring in the ditsy had a small oil leak... I didn't notice it until it got kinda bad and started leaking oil around the ditsy. You could be leaking there....

thats really weird. No oil spots at all and no smoke from burning oil. Its got to be going somewhere....

I dunno man. Hopefully you get this figured out.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

since english is not my mother language, i dont know what disty is distributor cap?
        One day you are born,
        The next big milestone
        you can't get enough!

Comment

distributor itself.....

my bad... I sometimes get typing and forget that there are other languages out there.....

Comment

Originally posted by D323
            distributor itself.....

my bad... I sometimes get typing and forget that there are other languages out there.....
            N/p
            Tnx for the reply.
            However, i should see that leak, right? Engine is totaly dry and i would notice oil stains in the yard below the car
            One day you are born,
            The next big milestone
            you can't get enough!

Comment

also look really hard in the engine bay. When my distributor was leaking it was messy on top of the tranny and around the side of the block, but there wasn't really any oil on the ground...

IMO if you are putting in that much oil, there almost has to be a leak somewhere that is letting that oil drain out.... As I said I hope you figure this one out.

Comment

remove your intake manifold, piping, and AFM... clean the living **** out of everything... and install a PCV oil catch can inline... poof no more oil in the intake.
                plug the hole on the intake tube and install a breather filter on top of the valve cover.

check all over for oil leaks... when you park it.. the next day look underneath for oil spots...

isn't white smoke a sign of coolant burning?

i say just get a BP
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I'd say your rings are gone. Similar to what the old K-Car 2.2L's would do.
                  Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                  BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

How much does it burn on start up? I was haveing to add a quart about twice a week from valve seals. You'd be able to see that big time though. Every morning i'd send clouds of smoke down the street, it was kinda funny. It'd smoke for about 10 minutes before the seals were lubricated enough to seal properly.

Either way if you're losing that much oil in that short of a time you should be able to see it, either in leaks or smoke. It has to be going somewhere. Those are the only two ways it can go.

Comment

Oil Blowby

Bad rings...no question. Have a leakdown test done at a garage and they can confirm it, but it sounds like you cracked or invetered the ringfs on at least one cylinder. Have done this on my B18 Acura and could not believe it. The car ran OK, did not smoke but used oil like it was going out of style.

You can try running straight 30 weight oil and some restore to see if you can slow down the burn rate. Dont use synthetic oil under these conditions. It will blow by much easier than convetional.

Comment

it could be a bad pcv just be cause it rattles does not make it ok i had same problem and a pcv fixed it

Comment

Working...
                        X