Fountain in the engine bay!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fountain in the engine bay!!!

Okay...('93 DX, man)....My engine would start to overheat badly and I'd be low on coolant/water in my radiator. I'd also hear gurggling after I turn off the car. And, the temp would go up at a red light then back down after taking off. It'd also go down when I make some turns. So, I replaced the upper&lower hoses, thermostat, and radiator. And, it now...water just flushes out of the resevoir when I turn on the car! I figured there might be a bubble in the system. So, I ran it without the cap, and with the cap on but not tight, blah-blah-blah. Then, it ran fine as I sat in the garage with it. I took it out for a bit this past weekend and it started again after taking it out for about 30 miles. And, then it just wouldn't start! So, me and my friend messed with it. I squeazed the lower hose to pump out the air and we ran it again without the cap and WOOSH fountain! I got it running and soon after it overheated again and it began whistleing like a damn Kettle! The whistling was coming from the resevoir. We stopped at a gas station and ran it without the cap, foutain again, and we just kept flowing water into the rad from the water/air station. It seemed to work. Then, today, it acted up again when i went out and when I touched the lower hose, it was pumped up full of air. Can anyone help!? Maybe a bad water pump? I can't go 5 miles without it acting up on me. At each stop I go to I have to add in water, then i t just rejects it when I turn the car on.

And, to top it off...I need a new valve cover gasket AND I think my CV joints are bad. So, I might need a new anxle (from what I've read in previous posts) Maybe I should just get another car? 'Cause I have no patience when working on cars, so installing a new water pump would frustrate me.

Sorry, for the long post! But thanks for any of your help and time.
    -'93 Protege DX 5spd

-'03 Protege5 5spd (My new baby)

From '93 to '03. A ten year jump in less than one year, without using the "NOS" button, now that's what I call fast.

Head gasket.
    1992 Mazda Protege DX
    Tropical Emerald Metallic - limited mods

Click Here to visit my CarDomain page

Comment

all that trouble on a SOHC. Sounds like time for a DOHC swap...

I know some good j/y's in dallas that might be able to get a good price if interested.

oh and welcome btw.

Dallas weekly meets @ the Super Target off of Hebron/Round Grove and I-35 every Wednesday nite.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Ha-ha, well I'm thinking of fixing this cooling problem then just trading it in. Which is why I'm worrying about this problem so much, so I can worry about getting a new car!
        -'93 Protege DX 5spd

From '93 to '03. A ten year jump in less than one year, without using the "NOS" button, now that's what I call fast.

Comment

I had all the same problems with SOHC, the gurgling, whistling, everything you described....my water pump was leaking.....its not a hard job...the factory paper gasket on mine blew out when my radiator cracked....just yesterday I replaced both of my heater core hoses because one of them sprung a leak.....it was gurgling again....
          94 Protege DX SOHC 1.8l 5 Speed
          (DaPro)

its better to wait and save then to waste money on crap to get you by....

Comment

lol same problem I was having. My water pump hasn't gotten quite that bad yet though Replacing it next weekend.

How many miles are on your sohc?

92 Protege DX - Sold.
            91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
            95 Ford Contour GL - Crashed.
            96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
            90 Honda Accord LX - Sold.
            98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

well good luck... if you want a temp fix then get some j/y parts for the motor and swap them in.... that way its cheaper and if they dont lat, oh well it will be in the dealers hands

Thats if your sure your gonna trade her in.

Comment

Haha! My car almost has 150K on it.

D323, that's what I was thinking, ha-ha. I just want to get this water pump fixed and not drive it so much as to not damage the axle even more. Then, just trade it in.

I want another sedan with more HP and Torque than what my Pro produces. I hate the fact I can't get that pull when I need it. With power everything, keyless entry. And, something pretty cheap and low miles for financing situations. I was thinking maybe...a '02 Neon? Any thoughts?
                Last edited by MazPro3; 02-10-2005, 08:24 PM.
                -'93 Protege DX 5spd

Comment

04 mazda 3s is what I am after

Comment

Haha I want the new Mazda5, man! I could use the extra room. And, to have my system in there, man...that'd be nice. But, I doubt it'll be cheap. Mazda seems to make their new cars somewhat out of my range (around 10K I have finance troubles). But, I shall give it a shot anyway.
                    -'93 Protege DX 5spd

Comment

Working...
                    X