Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket / stock valve spring abilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket / stock valve spring abilities?

Since I have my head apart, and I am doing the solid lifter upgrade, I figured I may as well change the valve springs if it's a benefit.

I would like to know, does anybody know the limit of the stock springs before you get valve float? That is what will happen, right?

Second, where can you actually GET different valve springs? I've looked a little on miata.net. What I've found are people use the VS-855 or something like that, but it is now discontinued. Used to be about $3/spring. Would have been nice and cheap.

Corksport seems to sell the Eibach kit for $213.00.

Flyin' Miata sells some but they are $330!

Any other sources? So far I don't know of anybody that has actually gone through with changing their valve springs on this forum yet...
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

A while back I remember reading about the Volvo springs on the miata fourm. There must be a place that still has them. Is that Volvo a rare model? If not, they might be available at local junkyards

I know Braden had those springs on his old 1st gen. Might want to ask him where he got them from?
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
    -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

OK I'll try searching for that... I admit I got a little distracted and wandered into the NC forum. Miata.net doesn't have very good search capabilities.

Comment

on the www.miataforum.com type in 'valve springs' and search in 'power mods' - you'll find lots of threads stay away from the Volvo's - WAY to STIFF!!! they were recommended at one time but are now avoided. i've read good things about the Eibach's; Supertech makes 'em, www.flyinmiata.com has a kit, you can find them on ebay, etc... lots of aftermarket valve springs available for the BP.

I ordered new OEM springs for my head, they're good to about 7500rpm...
        Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was searching. VS855s are the Volvo springs. The appeal was they are very cheap. However they seem to be about 3 times stiffer than stock!! Also they are hard to find. Supply comes and goes, I guess.

I think I will pony up for the Eibach kit.

Comment

if u get the volvo springs though, least u wont have to worry bout valve float as much..lol.
            Eat ****.

Comment

hah...i dont think you could get valve float if you tryed with the volvo springs.....the guys at CS highly recomended the Eibach kit....not just b/c they sell it but Derreck said that they are of "super quality"

btw...you are going to make a how to for the lifter swap right
              91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
              Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

I need to figure out how to do it, first! lol.

Comment

Actually Jay, the Miata guys have found that the stock BP-ZE valvetrain is good 7800RPM, with the HLAs being the limiting factor. With solids and stiffer springs, plenty of guys run to 9000RPM.....

I'm going to have my ECU sent away to have the rev limit set to 7800RPM

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                    Since I have my head apart, and I am doing the solid lifter upgrade, I figured I may as well change the valve springs if it's a benefit.

I would like to know, does anybody know the limit of the stock springs before you get valve float? That is what will happen, right?
                    Valve float will occur because the closing ramp on the cam lobe is too quick. The cam profile determines what spring rate is required.

Installing higher spring rate will increase wear on your cam lobes as well make you loose power through the entire band. Bigger/stronger is not always better.
                    92 323 with BP DOHC
                    ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Understood, that's why the Volvo springs seemed way too much to me. VERY stiff.

I was going to use the Mazdaspeed Miata intake cam and 99 Miata exhaust cam, as recommended in the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
                        Actually Jay, the Miata guys have found that the stock BP-ZE valvetrain is good 7800RPM, with the HLAs being the limiting factor. With solids and stiffer springs, plenty of guys run to 9000RPM.....

I'm going to have my ECU sent away to have the rev limit set to 7800RPM

HOLY CRAP!!! i want to run 9k!!! like a RX7
                        1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

Originally posted by T4TURBO
                          HOLY CRAP!!! i want to run 9k!!! like a RX7
                          dude...an RX7 can go to 14k if you remoce the ps pump....my neighbor owns one...
                          91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.