Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gapless Ring

Hi,

Anyone been used this piston ring on mazda GTX or GTR? TOTAL SEAL provide this ring for most of vehicle.They claim it can increase HP and provide good vacuum...
    Any comment from whoever have experience about this...
    Pls tell me advantages or disadvantages..

Rgds
    Jimi

I haven't used them in a Mazda, but I've used em on a 350 my dad and I build. Great rings if you ask me. Plus I've read articles in a couple mags that say they increase HP a lil bit, but the big advantage is that you can run bigger gaps and that they'll usually last a lot longer then normal rings.

93' 5spd DX
    R.I.P

Comment

DON'T use them!! For some reason - no one knows why - the Total Seal rings do not work on the BP. Read on the miataforum and you'll find plenty of negative posts about them.....

Not saying they don't work on other engines - just not on the BP.
      Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

You should always use the factory recommended end-gap. The BP factory tolorances are already so tight, that if you were doing a racing rebuild on a 350 to the same specs, you'd have to blueprint the engine.

Comment

wich is the gap size of a bp engine...?
          94 lx, custom manifold Mitsubishi 16g (EVO III) turbo, XTD stage 3 clutch kit, strut bar, and 3 inches exhaust free flow. Natural aspired Head and Block, RX7 N/A 440 cc injectors, GTX intake manifold, MS2 V3 (stratifiedauto) , SX Fuel pressure regulator, Front mount intercooler, TD05 16g turbo

Comment

After a bit of research on Miata.net on Total Seal rings.

DO NOT USE THEM.

Factory ring gap is .006" to .011", but most performance builds go a little loser, around .015"

Comment

Thanks... in the works shop, i told them to make it at .008 , im using .050 oversized pistons, but factory specs...same pistons but oversized thanks...
              94 lx, custom manifold Mitsubishi 16g (EVO III) turbo, XTD stage 3 clutch kit, strut bar, and 3 inches exhaust free flow. Natural aspired Head and Block, RX7 N/A 440 cc injectors, GTX intake manifold, MS2 V3 (stratifiedauto) , SX Fuel pressure regulator, Front mount intercooler, TD05 16g turbo

Comment

Working...
              X