WTF! stupid shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF! stupid shifter

on the way to work this morning, i decided to have some fun on the backroads. so im haulin' dow the road, heel'toe into the turn doing about 50, come out and bang 4th, shift knob comes off into my hand, shiat! next turnes comin up quick, put the shift knob on , wont slide on , smack it down with my palm, CLUNK!
    now my shifters sitting on my exhaust.....at this point i had alreadt braked enough to come to a stop, limped the car back to work and trying to figure out how im gonna limp home the 25 mile comute
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Originally posted by bpt323
    its a common problem on the 1st gens
    and its easily remedied

you can pull apart the shifter into 2 pieces... you'll note that the center section has rubber tab with metal ends on it that slide into the outer section... simple put 2 screws right through the outer section so that they lock the middle section from falling any more.
    the screws will hold up the bushing tab with metal ends... you can push down on it and it won't ever fall down again.

hmm.. sometime i should do a write up on this.

Comment

lol....im just waiting for mine to drop
      Eat ****.

Comment

Thnx for the link,i had already put screws through it about a year ago, but they were pretty small id really like to redesign the faukr so it wont ever happen again
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.

Comment

Here's a better solution.

Comment

thnx! again for the links
            -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

well, i went out to my car during lunch and pulled the console, ........and im not happy
              i tore the muffakin rubber bushing clean off!

so coming soon to a the how to section, a shifter setup that doesn't suck@ life
              -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

tooo much double clutching
                .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                225.94wtq
                torque monster!!!!
                dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

i just welded the ****ing thing.
                  sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                  92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

glad to see use made of it
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

stupid mazda design
                      well i made it home with the help of my friend, trusty zip tie!
                      tommarrow is J/Y replacement and the brainstorm stage, by tonight ill have a rough idea of my new shiftter design
                      Attached Files
                      -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

This happened to the guy who owned my car before me, all it takes is a $6 bushing.

Comment

Woot!(And a bisciut!)

got a replacement from an MX-3 today, and scored with a set of cherry MX-3 seats!!!
                          @ $21 a piece i was all over that ****, the seats are installed along with the temp shifter
                          pics tonight
                          -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by SleptWithURWife
                            This happened to the guy who owned my car before me, all it takes is a $6 bushing.
                            Is this the same bushing as the replacement shifter bushings to firm up the shifter?
                            **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                            95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2
                              Is this the same bushing as the replacement shifter bushings to firm up the shifter?

I'm not to sure, all I know is that it is cheap ****, just look and see what is ripped or just popped out. When my friend went to Mazda to get it fixed, they charged him $85CDN for a new factory stick that he didn't need plus $65 for labour. He ended up paying like 180 when it was all over. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X