NA engine mod idears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NA engine mod idears

I need some ideas for modifying my BP. I don't want a ****-load of power, just a bit more without spending too much money. All i've done so far is a custom intake, RX7 VAF w/ cone filter, Pacesetter header, timing advance, flowmaster muffler (haven't had the full system done "yet"). It runs great, but I'm looking for anything I can do to up performance without going crazy buying new parts. I saw the post about having the intake manifold ported, I'll probably do that next. Anyway I know some of you know a lot about these cars, I figured you could help with suggestions.

Thanks

put it on smaller wheels and get it off the bump stops.

Comment

put it on smaller wheels and get it off the bump stops.
      Now there's a genius idea, thanks man.... I would have never thought of that...

Oh yeah, got any ideas that actually pertain to my question?

Comment

I PROMISE you would get higher dyno results on 15s. those huge rims are killing power. also search for exhaust - intake cam. using an exhaust cam on the intake side is good for some honest hp with tuning.
        Last edited by ThatCarGuy; 06-30-2005, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by P-rotege
          Oh yeah, got any ideas that actually pertain to my question?
          To his credit, it would make the car a good deal faster, both in a straight line and sideways. Seriously, you need to be closer to 30-35lbs per corner. You're probably running 45, 50 or more now. Of course suspension travel is your friend.. mostly so that you can maintain traction while in a corner or braking.

Now, as far as your mods... welcome to the world of diminishing returns! Definitely upgrade your midpipe. After that the only cheap thing you have left is to remove weight. Removing A/C and power steering.

You could port-match/polish your head if you're brave and handy with a die grinder. Lightweight flywheel and/or pullies. Extrude-hone the intake maybe? Have the head shaved and then maybe the block decked. Higher-compression pistons from a Miata. Adjustable cam gears, a stand-alone ECU and some dyno time. 99-00 Miata head plus fab work. FM stroker kit, full blueprinting, blah blah... but now you've spent three times what your car was worth four years ago.

You know, nothing a Search couldn't find you
          Last edited by Hraefn; 06-30-2005, 12:02 PM.
          2003 Protege LX • HomepageClemson SCC

Comment

I know about the wheel weights, I am running the stock 14's right now, I usually do. I just got a good deal on the 17's so I figured what the hell. They only have about 1500 iles on them. I am looking into 16x7 ALT lightweight rims, they are 15lbs each. Keep in mind this is not a racecar, so I am not trying to squeeze every ounce of performance from it.

You could port-match/polish your head if you're brave and handy with a die grinder. Lightweight flywheel and/or pullies. Extrude-hone the intake maybe? Have the head shaved and then maybe the block decked. Higher-compression pistons from a Miata. Adjustable cam gears, a stand-alone ECU and some dyno time. 99-00 Miata head plus fab work. FM stroker kit, full blueprinting, blah blah... but now you've spent three times what your car was worth four years ago.
            I am not looking to invest thousands into this car, it's my daily-driver. I am just looking for little **** that people know of that can give a little boost in performance. I have searched, and found a lot of ****, all costs significant $$$. I want to know what I myself can do without it costing too much, I am just bored right now because all my cars are on hold due to financial issues.

Comment

umm...pullies are a big no...theres tons of threads as to why. Search

If you want more power, your first thing would be a header. Pacesetter makes a decent one, its probably the cheapest you'll find. Don't get the painted one though, it melts off and smokes (i know from experience)

Next, search for the exhintake mod. If I remember correctly Josh made like 5 or 8whp from that.

If you get rid of those rims, you'll maybe loose a few tenths of a second in 1/4 times. Nothing insane. So if you like them, keep them.

After those basic bolt ons, your probably going to start spending big bucks on bigger mods.
              Eat ****.

Comment

From the sound of it you've already done the cheap little stuff. Do the extra exhaust cam and that's about it.

Comment

If you want more power, your first thing would be a header. Pacesetter makes a decent one, its probably the cheapest you'll find. Don't get the painted one though, it melts off and smokes (i know from experience)
                  I got the coated header, it's cool. I think the exhintake mod will make my car unable to pass smog, but who knows. What about **** like cam gears and such. I want to keep my car legal, or easily changeable to pass emissions. I'll keep away from the pullies, thx

Comment

cam gears don't add power, just by putting them on. You have to tune them.
                    Eat ****.

Comment

Cam gears make very little sense if you're trying to stick to a budget with basic I/H/E. Again, you've done all the "cheap" stuff already.

You have to pay to play.

Get out the cutoff cool and put her on a diet.
                      2003 Protege LX • HomepageClemson SCC

Comment

lol....strip that biatch.

If it's your DD i wouldnt recommend stripping it to heavily though, as its not very fun driving around in a bare metal car.

I weighed my LX with my interior out, and it came in at like 2250 or somehwere around that area....very light.
                        Eat ****.

Comment

I weighed my LX with my interior out, and it came in at like 2250 or somehwere around that area....very light.
                          Thats way light for a 4dr sedan . Has anyone tried the bored throttle body? Does it help much? I think I am going to have my exhaust done today. That should especially with the header.

As for the gears, I know just putting them on won't help, but they allow some finer tuning for a little more power.

Comment

The stock TB is plenty big enough. You could smooth out the butterfly and stuff, and that might be worth something. Replace the oem hose from the TB to the VAF with 2.5" piping. That's worth a good deal. 2.25" for a daily driver if you don't like revving it.
                            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                            -93 MR2, 129 ES
                            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Wait a minute...what's this about the exhaust camshaft used in place of the intake one? Do you have to re-time the car?
                              Also, I know everyone wants solid lifters. Can I(if I found them that is) use '97-'98 BP camshafts in mine and keep my hydrolic lifters? Hydrolic lifters = no shims.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                              On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                              My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Working...
                              X