Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How strong is the AWD transmission really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How strong is the AWD transmission really?

My engine is slowly on its way out, and I want to replace it with a BP rather than put money into the one I've got, but I don't have the money to buy a new engine and the GTX transmission at the same time. Therefore I need to know if the stock AWD tranny will hold the power from the BP for a while, until I can afford to swap those as well. Anyone?

From what I've gathered Mazda threw in the SOHC because the USDM 4wd trans would not hold up to the abuse a DOHC engine with a moron behind the wheel would put on it. As long as you don't run it like the last lap of Talladega/Semi-Finals at Firebird every time you get into it. The stock trans should be able to hold up for a while. "Remember they produce cars with just enough performance to be appealing to most normal people but reliability is their main goal. And they have to take into account that most ppl can't drive. They build cars underpowered so that idiots can go out and flog the crap outta it and still get decent reliability." On a plant visit a SOA Rep and I were discussing why they[ car manufacturers ] de-tune cars for mass production. Their special vehicles are produced in limited numbers and are aimed at a smaller group of buyers that generally know how to drive them. So they still achieve their goal of long term reliability. The GTX got a higher hp motor and to maintain reliability they beefed up the drive train.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/mspeed323awd

Comment

Working...
    X