My $5 exhaust work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My $5 exhaust work.

Yes, that's right. I've redone 2 major parts of my exhaust and it's only cost me $5.

1st, me and 3 friends made a test pipe. My converter was gutted several months back because it came apart and clogged the exhaust near the muffler. Gutting it created a leaky sound which got annoying. To do this, I bought a 18" X 2" exhaust pipe from Advanced. We then cut(using hack saws because it was late at night and we didn't want to make a lot of noise) the converter out at the weld in the front and the weld in the back. Put the converter on end and the pipe on end, marked the distance, cut the new pipe with a pipe cutter(on which the blade is flat-spotted because my brother tried to cut a coil spring with it, which makes it really hard to use but it worked), welded the rear flange on it, held the front section and the new pipe on the car and marked it, then welded the front section on. Put it on the car, started it up, and it was louder than hell. Why? Because someone freggin marked the rear flange upside-down, which created a huge gap at that flange. So then I had to cut the new pipe in the center, put the pieces back up under the car, mark them, and I had my friend tack-weld them together so that we could test-fit it. Well, he welded like 1/4 the way around the pipe, and when we test fit it it was rotated about a centimeter. So we had to break the weld, bend the weld outward, and reweld. But it worked. Only problems are that it's hitting the bottom of the car which I have to fix, and the Pacesetter paper gasket tore, so I need a new gasket for it. Here's what it looks like:

Next up was the muffler. At work we had a '02 Protege muffler sitting in the cleaning bay for months. It was from a trade in we got which had a Racing Beat muffler so the guy just gave us the stock muffler. It's in mint condition, like new. So I cleaned it up and took it home and planned to use it on my car because my muffler is leaky. Now then, the 3rd gen Protege muffler is the same length but a little wider than the 1st gen muffler. Also, the pipe that goes to it is a different length and bend. So what we did was measure from the back of the muffler to where that brace is welded, and cut the pipe there. Then we marked the same distance on the 1st gen muffler, and cut that pipe. Welded that pipe onto the 3rd gen muffler and it fit perfectly. Next problem was that the hanger on the back muffler hit the cross member on the rear suspension, so I hacked that off. The bigger issue is the hangers on the front of the muffler. I was going to hack off the hanger from the old muffler and put it on the new muffler, but my friend with the hack saws left early, so I couldn't do that. So I put one rubber hanger sideways on the muffler hanger to pull the muffler towards the right side of the car because it was too close on the left. Then we took a wire hanger and looped it around the metal hanger on the left side of the muffler and connected the rubber hanger to it and the hanger on the car. Works pretty well but we will redo it properly this weekend. Also the tail pipe turns wrong for the 1st gen Protege, so we are going to cut it off and rotate it around so it points better. Here's what it looks like currently:

So there you have it, $5(well I have to buy 2 gaskets still) to fix my exhaust.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

cool, looks a lot better then my exhaust.

How do you ceep your car so clean.
    Last edited by photoeye0; 07-15-2005, 12:59 PM.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
    98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

I'm a Mazda/Subaru new car prep, so having a clean car is important. I actually haven't washed it in about a week and a half, but it's been raining here pretty decently the past few days.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

it looks like ****.
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

It looks like $5 of exhaust work, I'll give you that.

Comment

Function over form!

Meh, It'll look better once everything is straightened out, which might be tomarrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
              It looks like $5 of exhaust work, I'll give you that.
              lol i thought the same thing.
              .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
              225.94wtq
              torque monster!!!!
              dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
              http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
              http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I think it looks good, for how many people see your exhaust looks arn't important. I've been thinking about replacing my cat with a glasspack but I'm not sure how well it'll hold up. But the important part is how does it sound. I've never heard a BP with no cat, does it pop alot?
                1992 Mazda Protege LX w/Primer spots
                Plus new
                1991 Mazda Protege LX w/138,000mi

Comment

Originally posted by BPower
                  I think it looks good, for how many people see your exhaust looks arn't important. I've been thinking about replacing my cat with a glasspack but I'm not sure how well it'll hold up. But the important part is how does it sound. I've never heard a BP with no cat, does it pop alot?
                  Popping isn't bad but if it starts sounding like a riced out civic then thats a big issue!
                  **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                  95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Well tonight I installed the 3 new gaskets($16.99 my cost) and it doesn't leak anymore. The Pacesetter paper gasket not only had torn but blew apart and I had to Roto-Zip the melted on part off the downpipe. I took the test-pipe off and had my friend weld over the "black spots"(where it was leaking) and it's good to go. Then I took off the muffler, another friend cut the rear hanger off of the old muffler and welded it on the new one. Cut the tailpipe off the new muffler, added a small section of pipe I had left over from the test-pipe, rotated the tailpipe around so that it faced the right way, only I didn't take into account that the muffler hangs at an angle on my car, so it's a little off but much better than it was.

The car sounds good...no backfiring(it did that when the downpipe to test-pipe gasket was leaking). From about 1,500 to 3,500 it's a little raspy(I think it's just the shape of the test-pipe that's doing that) but smooths out and sounds good...I think something is rattling near the exhaust because I hear it every now and then. Oh, we also broke the heat shield at the front of the now test-pipe off because it was smacking the bottom of the car. No more smacking, no more noise, and who needs that asbestos anyway?

I'll take a pic of how it looks from the back of the car tomarrow. Looks better. I'll need to make a sound clip too...

Comment

Function over form and ghetto are two seperate things, be mindful of that. You have fixed an exhaust leak, but now your car is left illegal because you were cheap. More so, you didn't really add much in the realm of performance, again, just lends to someone being cheap, not innovative. I give you props you can have someone weld you a pipe for free, but either than that..
                      Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                        Function over form and ghetto are two seperate things, be mindful of that. You have fixed an exhaust leak, but now your car is left illegal because you were cheap. More so, you didn't really add much in the realm of performance, again, just lends to someone being cheap, not innovative. I give you props you can have someone weld you a pipe for free, but either than that..
                        Kevin
                        In my state its illegal to put the car in neutral before coming to a complete stop. Guess how many people do it!
                        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

such beautiful car doesn't deserve such nasty, crappy and plain ugly exhaust work.

Comment

I know the pain of trying to angle exhaust.

I got tired of the fart can i put on my car last year and put a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler on my car...I like it alot better than that restrictive coffee cup, I like the sound better too..it was a pain trying to figure out how to mount it and put hangers on it..

sorry bout picture being so big, didnt know it would be..
                            Attached Files
                            1993 Mazda Protege DX Automatic SOHC
                            Fully Replaced sound system(Pioneer) with Pioneer Deck, Honda Rims, , Intake Modd with Racing Filter,NGK spark plugs,Xact Spark plug wires, Optix Green Under Body Light kit (waiting to be installed)
                            Cherry Bomb Turbo Performance Muffler (works much better than a fart can)

Comment

Gees people back off, it's just exhaust. Who cares what it look like as long as it get the gasses out of the motor. It will just rust out any ways.
                              Last edited by photoeye0; 07-17-2005, 11:42 AM.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
                              98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X