awd swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awd swap question

Hey all, I'm going out to a U pull it juck yard on wed and I was wondering if anybody knew of an awd set up that is compadable with my 94 pro lx. I know the 323 would be but those are pretty hard to find. Are there any other cars not nessicarily mazda whos awd system would come close to fixting the lx. I know I would have to do some fabrication to get it to work but If i had an idea of what to look for at the junkyark that would be good.
    -Mike
    94 Protege lx
    94 Protege LX

only thing that would work with a minimum of work (which is still a LOT) would be a 90 or 91 protege awd/4wd... MAYBE a 323 gtx... but hell, since ull have to straight up fab a bunch of ****, y not go ahead and grab an rx7 tii rear end and driveshaft, and then order a bpt that will come with the strong(er) pro awd tranny, then try to make those two work together...
    "Squirrels are evil because they have thumbs."
    - Chick McGee

Comment

How does the awd tranny work? does it shoot out a drive shaft and 2 axels or does it go to a distribution box?
      94 Protege LX

Comment

First off, aside from all the fabbing the body would need, you would need to be sure the gearing in the rear end matched that of the tranny. Otherwise one set of tires is going to want to go faster than the other. The AWD tranny works by basically adding a third out put to it. So there is the 2 holes for the front axles and a mounting plate for the drive shaft.
        Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

Canadian Auto Trader!! thats theonly way you will be in a AWD 1st gen..

Comment

I hope one day one of these threads amount to something other than a pipe dream.
            My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
            - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rage557
              How does the awd tranny work? does it shoot out a drive shaft and 2 axels or does it go to a distribution box?
              i just made a thread a few weeks ago askin for pics, and there are a few underbody pics of an awd pro... this might help u out a lil bit...

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17528
              - Chick McGee

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                wow, these awd threads are begining to be as common as intake threads
                what, are u ppl gonna start bitchin bout the search function not bein used now? its somethin to talk about, and somethin to aspire to.
                - Chick McGee

Comment

Originally posted by mike_moss
                  I hope one day one of these threads amount to something other than a pipe dream.
                  me too man, me ****in too.
                  - Chick McGee

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
                    Canadian Auto Trader!! thats theonly way you will be in a AWD 1st gen..
                    Why Canada?

Comment

Got a AWD tranny from the GTX with flywheel I can't use. Any takers? Need to get the damned thing out of my garage.

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

Yes, but how much?

Comment

Better off sticking to FWD, the AWD setups are about as strong as a stack of toothpicks, one wrong launch and your ****s fuxed , good luck finding replacement parts then!
                          Joe H
                          2000 Chevy Impala
                          3400 3.4 Liter V6
                          Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
                          U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
                          Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

That's only the North American 4WD tranny... the GTX/GTRs are designed for 180-200hp stock.

Comment

$80 plus shipping?

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

Working...
                              X