Cam swap problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam swap problems.

I finally got my car running and am having a problem with it.

As some of you know I put the 99+ Solid lifters and cams in it. Well the problem I have is The car idles fine and cruises fine, but whenever I am in gear and try to accelerate past about 1/4 throttle No matter how much gas I give it it will not accelerate quicker. Everything is on timing (if I was using stock cams) and hooked up right, so I have the impression that it is from the cams, and it needs to be timed differently.

I was wondering if anyone on here that has done the swap had the same problem and knows how to fix it. I guess if I have to buy cam gears, then that's what i'll do. But does anyone know a quick fix until then?

Thanks

sorry buddy but you must have done an incorrect install or your having clearance issues between the valvestem or the lifter/shim combo. the cam gears for the 99 miata are the same as any other BP.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

You need to give a better description of your symtoms. Does power not build at all as RPM climbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
        You need to give a better description of your symtoms. Does power not build at all as RPM climbs?

Yeah theres no power, and the RPMs climb slowly regardless of how much gas is given after about 1/4. It just acts like you havent pressed the accelerator anymore and are just holding it there.

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
          sorry buddy but you must have done an incorrect install or your having clearance issues between the valvestem or the lifter/shim combo. the cam gears for the 99 miata are the same as any other BP.

What I meant was that maybe the cams need to be timed differently then stock 90-94 cams. Maybe the exhaust needs to be advanced or whatever. I'm not sure as I don't know much about cam timing, and thought this would be a good way to learn. I was thinking about jumping a tooth and seeing if that helped any, or made it worse.

Comment

as i said 90-94 94-97 97+ all BP motors have the same cam timing. the solid lifter cams /hydrolic cams have the same timing. gears are exactly the same.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

as i said 90-94 94-97 97+ all BP motors have the same cam timing. the solid lifter cams /hydrolic cams have the same timing. gears are exactly the same.
              The 99+ Miatas have different cams and cam timing though.

It sounds to me that you have too much valve lash. You're not getting the lift you should be. Also, did you check your ignition timing after putting everything back together? If your exhaust cam is off time, your ignition timing could be off as much as 15° per tooth.

You'd be suprised at how much your car can run with cam timing off. When I first installed my 'exhintake' cam, it was off by 3 whole teeth ie 45° and still ran relatively well

Comment

i must be confused... if the can gears are exactly the same. then what do you mean by cam timing?

Comment

i must be confused... if the can gears are exactly the same. then what do you mean by cam timing?
                  The 99+ Miatas have different cams that have different opening and closing points. ie, the 90-97 intake cam opens at 5° BTDC and closes at 48° ABDC. The 99 intake cam opens at 8° BTDC and closes at 49° ABDC. (When I say the cam opens, obviously it's the valves that are opening, and that's what I mean by timing)

Comment

The cams were out of a 99. I will check the part numbers on them to be for sure when I check the valve lash. I didn't check it after I got it back from the machine shop, maybe I should have. I will let you guys know.

Comment

gotcha

Comment

Working...
                      X