No announcement yet.

92 DX A/C compressor rattles at idle only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What i did was use the "high mileage" freon with the oil that is supposed to have the oil built in there. Didn't rattle before I did that BTW.
    93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

0w20, EG Fram Oil Filter for Probe 2.5L, Magnetic Drain Plug, ebay cone filter, 03 Protege Rotors, moog sway bar end-links on rear sway bar, mx3 seats, Power Sunroof, Miata Valve Cover Bolts, Gatorback Belts, Timing *14 on 87 Oct, Autolite 3924 @ .043 - 35 mpg at 67 mph (95% highway driving) with A/C and headlights on. Untested for fuel economy: Sylvania EcoBright 9004, .717 5th gear with D6 ATF, NGK wires, 195/65/15 Kumho LRR 4 wire tps

Former Car: 92 Protege DX 5 spd.

Comment

Mine does the same but mine clicks real fast when im idling with no cold air but when i rev it up to 2 ro 3 its goes away... Im thinkin the compressor is goin bad... goin to by a new one
      Ratrod

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectProtege
        Mine does the same but mine clicks real fast when im idling with no cold air but when i rev it up to 2 ro 3 its goes away... Im thinkin the compressor is goin bad... goin to by a new one

Let me know if it was the compressor when ur done bud, how much is a new compressor btw?
        93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

0w20, EG Fram Oil Filter for Probe 2.5L, Magnetic Drain Plug, ebay cone filter, 03 Protege Rotors, moog sway bar end-links on rear sway bar, mx3 seats, Power Sunroof, Miata Valve Cover Bolts, Gatorback Belts, Timing *14 on 87 Oct, Autolite 3924 @ .043 - 35 mpg at 67 mph (95% highway driving) with A/C and headlights on. Untested for fuel economy: Sylvania EcoBright 9004, .717 5th gear with D6 ATF, NGK wires, 195/65/15 Kumho LRR 4 wire tps

Comment

does anyones compressor does what mine does... its annoying clickin noise... a new compressor is about 300 hundred but i rather pay for a new one...
          Ratrod

Comment

when you say the compressor has oil, was it oiled prior to charging and then again after it was charged. youve got 2 types of oil you need PAG and ESTER. you may just need a pag charge theres 3 different types 70, 100, and the other is 140 i think, get the 100viscosity and charge it that should take care of it. If the comp was killing itself it would be throughout all rpms. also you may just have a "dirty" compressor. **** builds up inside and restricts oil flow inside the comp letting less oil in under lower pressure(i.e. lower rpms). parts stores sell ac system flush/clean kits over the counter.

Comment

mine does the same thing

but my compressor has been making this noise for about a year now.... i use the ac heavily (i live in miami). i talked to someona at ford and they said that it could be the ac clutch. because the compressor works fine just "complains at idle" other symptoms incluse odd idling while coming to a stop the cars rpm will drop below 800 really quick and then come beck up like if i shut it off for a fraction of a second.....
              93 protege lx 190k, stick, girlie green

Comment

Originally posted by protouser
                but my compressor has been making this noise for about a year now.... i use the ac heavily (i live in miami). i talked to someona at ford and they said that it could be the ac clutch. because the compressor works fine just "complains at idle" other symptoms incluse odd idling while coming to a stop the cars rpm will drop below 800 really quick and then come beck up like if i shut it off for a fraction of a second.....
                That is the same **** mine done damn damn and dont forget when your drivin moving its cold and when I stop its still cold but it loses the cold intell I get on it again...
                Ratrod

Comment

Originally posted by JoeC254
                  when you say the compressor has oil, was it oiled prior to charging and then again after it was charged. youve got 2 types of oil you need PAG and ESTER. you may just need a pag charge theres 3 different types 70, 100, and the other is 140 i think, get the 100viscosity and charge it that should take care of it. If the comp was killing itself it would be throughout all rpms. also you may just have a "dirty" compressor. **** builds up inside and restricts oil flow inside the comp letting less oil in under lower pressure(i.e. lower rpms). parts stores sell ac system flush/clean kits over the counter.
                  So what I need to do is get a flush/clean kit from autozone or some part store let it clean my ac out? where do you put the cleaner? okay then what kind of oil will I have to get them 70 an 100 numbers im not understandin then fill it back up with freeon then that damn noise will go away and cooler....
                  Ratrod

Comment

most of the cleaner kits you just charge into the system like you would freon, you need to take some out first. find a shop with an AC system recovery machine(big ass vacuum). they'll take out the freon and store it, clean the system, and then recharge it with your freon. SHOP AROUND, ac service prices vary a lot so dont get raped by some backyard mechanic and his fancy new toy.

Comment

Good thread, model specific information on AC is pretty difficult to find.

Thanks
                      93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

could you not add a small amount of oil to your existing freon as a quick diagnosis to see if the problem goes away?
                        93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

Working...
                        X