Specs for valve cover bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specs for valve cover bolts?

I need to replace one of my valve cover bolts and none of my dealers stock the part. I was thinking of trying to find a replacement at autozone or the like.

Anybody know thread info or if there is anything special about the OEM mazda bolts that I need to look for on the replacement?
    Last edited by Silentbob343; 08-16-2005, 02:06 PM.
    2005 Mazda 3

i just saw a bunch on ebay do a search there. I think it listed as a miata part.
    94 Protege LX

Comment

can I drive around missing a valve cover bolt?
      2005 Mazda 3

Comment

I suppose you could. You might leak a bit of oil but i dont think it would do any damage. If its only one bolt you should be ok untill you get a new one.
        94 Protege LX

Comment

I guess you are right as one of the bolts was't even holding the cover down when I went to remove it to change the gasket.

Of course there was all sorts of blow by at that corner.
          2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Ive gone through so many valve cover bolts it isnt funny.....its perfectly fine to drive around with one missing as long as it isnt in a corner....i broke 2 and drove to the local NAPA and the guy gave me 2 for free...they werent the same color/size on the bolt head but it was the same thread....check your toolbox youve probably got something laying around thatl work.....

Actually the bolt head is a 10mm (metric) ... not sure the thread or length info...length doesnt matter really unless its to long

correct me if im wrong on the 10mm part though....maybe there 9 hell i dont remember...
            Last edited by 91ProtegeDX; 08-16-2005, 10:28 PM.
            1991 Mazda protege DX (SOHC) 5spd
            Short ram cold air
            stock muffler back on
            NGK plugs
            14inch miata steelies w/toyo proxes p185/60r14 82H - back
            13inch protege steelies w/toyo proxes S rated - front
            stripped a/c

1993 saab 9000cse turbo 5/spd
            Garrett TB-25, solenoid cut off at 17psi
            Gutted cat w/borla muffler
            Aero spec clutch (7k miles old)
            Running 5w20 full synthetic...(241,***)
            16inch Aero rims
            Aero Moldings
            Bridgestone Potenza 205/55VR16 91V - all 4

Comment

10mm is correct. I don't have anything around the house and my local advanced auto did't have the correct thread. I'll keep looking around, hell I can always pull them off at my local junkyard.
              2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Working...
              X