BP timing advance problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BP timing advance problem

I just completed a BP swap In my mazda mx-3 and for some reason my timing won't advance past 10 degrees. It also gives me some trouble starting sometimes. The VICS isn't hooked up either. There is a check engine light on. Is that cause of timing or the VICS? And what could the timing problem be? Thank you

VICS would probably be the CEL.

Did you set your base timing by jumping TEN and GND in the diagnostics box? Your base timing could be off enough that 10 is too far.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

No I didn't set the base timing. What does that do? And are my symptoms a result of not doing that? If so do I just have to set the jumper and then tune it from there?

Comment

If your base timing was off by say 8 degrees, then when you add 10, your really adding 18 degrees.

Do you mean you cant advance your timing yourself?

Couldn't hurt to reset the ECU either.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
          VICS would probably be the CEL.

Did you set your base timing by jumping TEN and GND in the diagnostics box? Your base timing could be off enough that 10 is too far.
          Doesn't this concept go out the window when you reset the ecu? As does it always remember the base timing when set with the TEN and GND? If so that may explain a issue that i'm having! lol don't ask....
          **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
          95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2
            Doesn't this concept go out the window when you reset the ecu? As does it always remember the base timing when set with the TEN and GND? If so that may explain a issue that i'm having! lol don't ask....
            lol, I meant or in there... sorry.. exam in Business Statistics raped my mind.

Comment

lol, I meant or in there... sorry.. exam in Business Statistics raped my mind.
              **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2
                either set the base timing or reset the ECU....

sorry my posts are kinda all crazy ass not really in order...

Comment

either set the base timing or reset the ECU....

sorry my posts are kinda all crazy ass not really in order...
                  But i've been resetting AFTER already changing it to wtf i end up changing it to at THAT time.... so i assume thats still fine?!

Comment

Most car will runs better at idle with a lot of advance, than less of it. Maybe you don't have enough initial advance? Your distributor has a HUGE range of motion to change timing, so there's no way it's a mechanical problem.

Comment

Ok I'm gonna work on setting the base timing tomorrow. I jumper Ten and Gnd and then what? Should I crank over car or anything? Should it be in the on position? I'm determined to figure this crap out

Comment

Originally posted by alex101oster
                        Ok I'm gonna work on setting the base timing tomorrow. I jumper Ten and Gnd and then what? Should I crank over car or anything? Should it be in the on position? I'm determined to figure this crap out

Jumper the TEN and GRD in the diagnostics box by the firewall, start the car and hook up to the #1 spark plug wire with the timing light.

If you have a SOHC its 5* if its DOHC its 10*.
                        BUT you also have to make sure your car is running at the correct RPM as well.
                        I dont recall off the top of my head but I want to say 750RPM is the idle you need to get the proper timing.

The base timing is the MECHANICAL relation to the crank.
                        The reason for grounding the TEN terminal is to eliminate any advance or retard that the computer will try to input to the distributor.

Hope Ive helped
                        -Michael
                        '90 Protege SE
                        Originally posted by charles
                        It's probably to fix that ****ing automatic seatbelt

Comment

850 rpms +/- 100 rpms i believe!

Comment

I thought it was 750.... I 'll check the FSM tonite.

Anyways... mine idles @ 750; tends to get close to 1k with the AC blastin though.

Comment

Working...
                            X