No announcement yet.

Intake setup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since the VAF responds to the VOLUME of air flowing through it, any mod to the intake system that reduces the resriction to air flow (reduces negative pressure) between the atmosphere and the air filter will yield a performance increase by increasing the volume of air "sensed" by the VAF. However, as shown in the photo, the inlet side of the air filter, although behind the headlight, will still draw in mostly hot, underhood air. Since HP decreases as a function of INCREASING intake air temperature, if the temperature increase offsets the increase in volume flow, there will be no net performance gain and perhaps even a loss compared with the stock system.

Reference: http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com/counterp...erpoint3_3.pdf

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

lol....well goldstar set it straight.....but it looks to be a little heat sheild there to help block out the underhood hot air.

So the verdict......do that mod, build a heatshield that seals completely, and remove your headlight and you may see some slight gains!
      Eat ****.

Comment

Why after investing in a cool BP swap not just buy a cool aluminum intake with cone filter and all , i have read somewhere here that you lose power with a modified intake , personally i think its but has anybody had an experience with this ?
        im about to buy the K&N cleaner kit but if im losing power with a cone filter i might save it for something else.
        I saw in another forum that in Formula 1 they use paper interesting ill try to find the link or pic.
        BHP=bull**** horsepower
        WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Come to the DarkSide ,Whe have Cookies!

Ok, so you wanna make your lightsabers. Yeehaw. Think about this though, when you make them...how are they going to be effective weapons? They are a melee weapon, requiring close range combat right? Well, say I've got a gun and I pop a cap in your ass way outside of the reach of your lightsaber blade....fat lot of good that did ya!

Comment

Paper? Special kind I hope, b/c regular paper doesn't flow at all.

Yes aftermarket intakes reduce low end tq if you leave off the H-box (helmholtz resonator)

There have been many posts about this, so just search and you will see why power loss was experienced by some.
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

yes you only lose power by taking out the H box as donnie said
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

thanks for the tip, i guess i needed confirmation on the h box thing.
              but im no ****ting you guys about the paper i saw it somewhere
              here a link
              Don't miss a Formula 1 moment – with the latest news, videos, standings and results. Go behind the scenes and get analysis straight from the paddock.

of course for the Bahrain race you can understand , but i saw a pic of an f1 engine for an european circuit , but even in bahrain there are many layers of paper , i though that f1 engines where made for use on short periods of time and they didnt care about wear , but if they are using paper there might be a secret to it

or just rules & regulations probably.
              BHP=bull**** horsepower
              WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Come to the DarkSide ,Whe have Cookies!

Ok, so you wanna make your lightsabers. Yeehaw. Think about this though, when you make them...how are they going to be effective weapons? They are a melee weapon, requiring close range combat right? Well, say I've got a gun and I pop a cap in your ass way outside of the reach of your lightsaber blade....fat lot of good that did ya!

Comment

where does the air box get its air on the stock configuration? in other words where does that little snakey tube coming out of the bottom of the box end? talking 1st gen here, its different in the later models i think.
                1990 Mazda Protege SE

cone air filter
                exhaust tip
                lx gauge cluster
                cupholders

Custom Sound System:

pioneer 4800mp headunit
                kenwood 1660s 6.5" front speakers
                kicker DS60 6.5" rear speakers
                2 MTX Roadthunder 12" subs in custom sealed boxes
                Profile AP700M mono sub amp (350 watts RMS)

Comment

Hbox or no Hbox. That is the question. HMMMM I have to say, Ive been running mine without this hateful little box for a year and I see and feel absolutely no difference at all. My CAI makes a much lounder sucking sound than the stock setup, but to say I am loosing power because I'm not using it? I just don't feel it.....
                  I suppose it's been proven on the dyno, but damn if I can tell the difference. Of course, my car is an automatic, so it's not going to win any land speed records.
                  As for your specific setup, why not just have some fun and experiment. Your not going to hurt anything. You may not gain huge horsepower but you may get a bump in power at an RPM that you have not felt before. Thats's what I noticed. We all know huge power is only going to come in the form of a turbo setup.

Comment

What's so odd about F1 engines using paper air filter elements-assuming that they do? Furthermore, why would you think that Formula 1 engines wouldn't use air filters at all? It wouldn't make sense to leave an engine that highly stressed and expensive open to the ingestion of random debris. Formula 1 engineers do care about wear and that's precisely the point.

Happy Motoring!
                    Last edited by goldstar; 01-14-2006, 12:21 PM.
                    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I saw no mention of paper used as a filter... maybe paper based filters, now those do exist as goldstar mentioned.

The only thing I can think of is that they were out at the track and needed a quick fix to keep the motor from sucking in debris, so the stuck a piece of paper over it - a choice that would flow very poorly and hinder power, but one that would save the engine.
                      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
                      X