Reverse switch location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse switch location

Can anybody tell me exactlywhere the reverse switch is located on a 1st gen protege? And is accessed from the top or from below?

Thanks!,

Mike.
    1993 Mazda Protege DX - 16.7 @ 84 mph (200K km's and still kicking)
    1994 Camaro Z28 - 12.5 @ 115 mph
    My cardomain site

look under the front of your car, up at the transmission. You'll see a couple wires coming out of a plug on the front of the tranny, facing slightly downwards. That's the reverse light switch. Make sure you use one of the copper gasket/washers when replacing it, otherwise you bottom out the shift linkage against it, and it won't go into 2, 4, or reverse.

In this picture, it's the large empty hole on the top half of the right side of the tranny.

--sarge

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for your help! Yes, the replacement part came with a washer which I will be sure to use.

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff
      look under the front of your car, up at the transmission. You'll see a couple wires coming out of a plug on the front of the tranny, facing slightly downwards. That's the reverse light switch. Make sure you use one of the copper gasket/washers when replacing it, otherwise you bottom out the shift linkage against it, and it won't go into 2, 4, or reverse.

In this picture, it's the large empty hole on the top half of the right side of the tranny.

--sarge
      My cardomain site

Comment

get a friend to climb under ther with you with a rag, clean the area around the switch to prevent contaimination.

If you are quick, you can pull the switch out and have the friend cover up the hole before you lose too much gear lube. do the same for reinstalling it.

Top of the fluid anyway, you can fill it through the speedo gear on the top of the transmition
        there is a 10mm bolt that holds it in place

to find it, look straight down behind the throttle body and you will see it.
        Last edited by MD323; 02-10-2006, 04:08 PM.
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

You guys are the best! everything worked like a charm.
          My cardomain site

Comment

Originally posted by MD323
            If you are quick, you can pull the switch out and have the friend cover up the hole before you lose too much gear lube. do the same for reinstalling it.
            or just do it when you're changing your tranny fluid and you'll be all set

Comment

Its been a few years since Ive changed the fluid, so Ill probably drain it tomorrow and fill it up with some fresh gear lube. Im thinking of castrol 75w90... has anyone else used this before?

Originally posted by esmacmil
              or just do it when you're changing your tranny fluid and you'll be all set
              My cardomain site

Comment

i used no-name 75w90...make sure its GL IV or V....if you want to get some nice lube, use redline

Comment

Originally posted by esmacmil
                  i used no-name 75w90...make sure its GL IV or V....if you want to get some nice lube, use redline
                  MT-90, supposed to be some of the best.

I need to get some as I discovered my MT had ATF put in it previously
                  The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

ATF fluid is fine from what i've heard D323, my Protege's owner manual says to use ATF fluid for my 5 speed tranny, lol

JACK
                    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered
                      ATF fluid is fine from what i've heard D323, my Protege's owner manual says to use ATF fluid for my 5 speed tranny, lol

JACK
                      oh I know its fine, but I am a stickler on things like that. I want nothing but the best in my car build.
                      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
                      X