Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!

Well, I went to a local auto auction last night and bought me a 93 Protege Automatic for $350. Drove back to town just fine, except it would not go into reverse. You could shift it there, but the car would just move forward when you hit the gas. Now, I can't drive it at all No matter where the shifter's at (except park) when you step on the gas, the rpm's shoot up and the car crawls forward. I've been told it's more than likely my linkage. Any imput would be greatly appreciated!!

Originally posted by Noelle93Protege
    Well, I went to a local auto auction last night and bought me a 93 Protege Automatic for $350. Drove back to town just fine, except it would not go into reverse. You could shift it there, but the car would just move forward when you hit the gas. Now, I can't drive it at all No matter where the shifter's at (except park) when you step on the gas, the rpm's shoot up and the car crawls forward. I've been told it's more than likely my linkage. Any imput would be greatly appreciated!!
    First off, welcome to the Club.

Now for your problem, have you checked the transmission fluid level?

Comment

yea,check the fluid first. if the fluid is fine move on to checking the linkage adjustment. if still no luck i would think it might be the torque converter or the tranny needs rebuilt. good luck and welcome to the forums.
      Last edited by Turpro; 02-17-2006, 06:10 PM.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by turpro
        yea,check the fluid first. if the fluid is fine move on to checking the linkage adjustment. if still no luck i would think it might be the torque converter or the tranny needs rebuilt. good luck and welcome to the forums.
        I've always known linkage as referring to manual transmissions. Automatics have shifter cables instead of linkage. To check your torque converter, try a stall test. And before you go ripping it out for a rebuild, it may just need a shift solenoid or something else small.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes and imput!!

I had a mechanic friend check the car out last night. This guy has done major auto repairs in walmart parking lots before LOL so I trust his word.

The transmission fluid level is fine, but the fluid itself is almost black and smells awful. So, he believes I need a fluid and filter change

Comment

Burnt up. Good luck man.

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle93Protege
              Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes and imput!!

I had a mechanic friend check the car out last night. This guy has done major auto repairs in walmart parking lots before LOL so I trust his word.

The transmission fluid level is fine, but the fluid itself is almost black and smells awful. So, he believes I need a fluid and filter change
              that would be best.

And yes AT's are cable, so no linkage for them.

Welcome to the board. Good luck and post pics of the beast when you can.
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
              X