Engine Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Sizes

alright, so I've been looking at other Proteges for sale, mine is nearing 300K kms and its starting to show do the 90 and 91s come with the 8 valve 1.6? or do they all have the 16 valve 1.8l. Keeping in mind that I'm Canadian there will be no DOHC to worry about.

Thanks...

Originally posted by SleptWithURWife
    alright, so I've been looking at other Proteges for sale, mine is nearing 300K kms and its starting to show do the 90 and 91s come with the 8 valve 1.6? or do they all have the 16 valve 1.8l. Keeping in mind that I'm Canadian there will be no DOHC to worry about.

Thanks...
    So you don't want a BP?

I don't know much about what goes on up there, but here in the U.S., I'm 99% sure that all the SOHC's are B8's which mean that they're 16 valve 1.8's.
    And of course, there's the BP....16 valve, DOCH, 1.8.

Comment

I'm not aware of any sedans coming with the 1.6L in North America, just the hatchbacks.

If you can find a GT, they have the DOHC engine, although they were produced in limited numbers for 90-91, and 93.
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

The 1990 pro came with a 1.6 at the beginning of production (in canada). It's very unclear as to know when they switched to the B8 and on what trims. The MX-3 came with a 1.6 16 valve and 1990 323 lx came with the 1.6 16 valves (i have one). Your best bet is to pop up the hood and see whether it says "16 valves" on the valve cover and whether it's a B6 or B8 (size difference).
        Get a 93 GT

Comment

Oh, I'd love a GT, I'd take better care of it than if I had a child. Yeah, I guess that if I was gonna go and look at the car I would be popping the hood, but I was just checking because I don't want to go and look at cars with the engine I don't want.

So is there a 1990 GT? or is this guy just posting bull on auto trader, hense the no pic present.

seems a little cheap for such a 'rare' car in Canada

Comment

Originally posted by SleptWithURWife
            Oh, I'd love a GT, I'd take better care of it than if I had a child. Yeah, I guess that if I was gonna go and look at the car I would be popping the hood, but I was just checking because I don't want to go and look at cars with the engine I don't want.

So is there a 1990 GT? or is this guy just posting bull on auto trader, hense the no pic present.

seems a little cheap for such a 'rare' car in Canada
            Courtesy of JustinGT:

BACKGROUND INFO:
            GT model started in '90 (1500 made in canada)
            GT model discontinued in '91 (1500 made in canada)
            GT model brought back in '93 for Mazda Canada's 25th Anniversary (only 500 made in canada)
            '93 GT available in Brilliant Black (PZ) only
            stock Japain GTX interior
            '93 GT front end styling a 'preview' of the '94 Protegé models
            fully loaded (power windows, central power locks, power sunroof, power mirrors, cruise control)
            only option was A/C (mine does not have)
            only available w/5 speed manual transmission
            considered the LX in the US just doesnt have the GTX interior

Comment

Aight, well then I might just give that guy a call. Thanks for spending some of your time so I don't have to spend mine Seriously though, I do appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
              X