Anyone used the 3rd gen shifter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used the 3rd gen shifter?

Protoss posted a thread awhile back with some cheap stuff you can do for our cars, and one of the things was using a shifter out of the third gen Protege or P5 to basically have a cheap short throw shifter. Has anyone tried this? If it fits fine and does shorten shift throws then I'll get one soon.

If you do this, use either the MP3 or the MSP shifter. They are both about 1" shorter above the fulcrum point than either the 3rd gen sedan or P5 sticks. That is, they don't shift faster but your hand will move through a smaller arc when shifting. If you use an MP3 shifter, you must also get the shift knob made for it as the thread is M8 x 1.25 while all other Protege shifters use an M10 x 1.25 thread.

I have an MP3 shifter on my car replacing the OEM model and it's a definite improvement.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I'm wondering why people consider this "Cheap" because when I asked the wrecking yard for a p5 shifter they wanted 80$ for it...

Comment

I paid US $50 for my MP3 shifter and knob from a Forum member. I didn't buy it as an economy move. I didn't want a short shifter because of the stress it places on the shifting forks but I did want a shorter stick. The combination of MP3 shifter, Kartboy bushings and MSP no.3 engine mount is, for me, a great improvement over the stock set-up.

Happy Motoring!
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

If you want a cheap short throw shifter, you can find one on ebay.

This is kind of a hack method, but if all you really want is a shorter shifter, you could cut your shifter down to a desired height, and then either re-thread it or just bolt an aftermarket knob on.

Comment

^ that is NOT a short throw shifter.

That is the way you make a stubby "cool looking" (not, IMO) shifter.

I lucked out and got my MSP shifter for free.
            My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
            - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Anyone know of long shifters? I want to do a taller shifter to bring it closer to the steering wheel; I've only seen them on rally cars...

-She's ugly as sin, but she goes like hell-
              Current Mods: 41k B8 swap, Megan Racing strut tower bars front and rear, 15"x6" Saturn alloys, Hankook K106 195/50/15 tires, KYB GR-2's, Redline synthetic gear oil, BMW VDO speedometer, Achrotech tachometer, high flow glasspack muffler, removed power steering, air conditioning, and ALL non-essential interior parts.

The Plan:
              Custom interior in black and tan, Port and Polished head with high performance cam and custom header and intake manifold, dual webbers, 2.25" center-exit exhaust, eibach springs, front lip, 15x6.5" Rotas on Falken tires. We'll just call it the jewelbox.

"This is an intense little car, bro."- Drew

"What the f**k?... What the f**k?.... What the f**k?"-- The guy giving my safety check as he walked around the car

Comment

Originally posted by mike_moss
                ^ that is NOT a short throw shifter.

That is the way you make a stubby "cool looking" (not, IMO) shifter.
                I never said that cutting it down made it a short throw shifter, nor did I advocate doing such a thing. I was just putting it out there.

Comment

I put a Greddy shift knob in my 323 and it actually shortened the height by 1/2" due to the shaft going deeper into the knob.

I've made my dirty statement for the day!

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                    I never said that cutting it down made it a short throw shifter, nor did I advocate doing such a thing. I was just putting it out there.
                    Just letting people know that isn't a short throw shifter.
                    My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                    - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mike_moss
                      Just letting people know that isn't a short throw shifter.
                      Cool Mike. Thanks for clearing it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X