What do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I need?

Hello, I am new to mazdas, but I have a few friends that have them, it seems like a great chassis, and thus the reason for me making the 14 hour (round trip) drive to Salem, OR yesterday to pick up my 1992 Mazda Protege DX.

The motor is pretty much dead, it has really bad rod-knock. I would like to swap a BP into it, and I was just wondering what is needed for the swap. I do plan on getting a G-series transmission to go with it, so besides the motor and tranny, what exactly is NEEDED?

Besides that, I know that it is a good idea to change some gaskets, water pump, timing belt if needed since the motor will be out of the car, but I just wanted to know what i will need to swap the BP in, and have it running well.

Please let me know, and thanks in advance for your help. I did read the FAQ btw, good infos.

you need these:
    1. beer
    2. new motor
    3. transmission
    4. axles
    5. ECU from a BP
    6. wires for vics
    7. more beer
    8. VAF cone filter adaptor and cone filter
    9. other engine maintainence crap

then come to my house with more beer (including the beer in the list) and use my engine lift and we'll do it in a few hours

Comment

The easiest way to do it is to buy a totaled out LX. That way you have all the parts you need and you can just pull the LX wiring harness that way you don't need to worry about adapting the DX harness.
      As long as you have it out you should do all the maintenance stuff and replace anything that's looks like it might need it soon. And if the car has been sitting for some time you might want to do the head gasket, I have seen a few Honda kid have some problems with that, just a thought.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
      98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by photoeye0
        The easiest way to do it is to buy a totaled out LX. That way you have all the parts you need and you can just pull the LX wiring harness that way you don't need to worry about adapting the DX harness.
        As long as you have it out you should do all the maintenance stuff and replace anything that's looks like it might need it soon. And if the car has been sitting for some time you might want to do the head gasket, I have seen a few Honda kid have some problems with that, just a thought.
        yeah, the thing is i dont have much room for another car, and my parents are ghetto about me keeping not-running cars at home. in fact, the DX i just bought is sitting in front of a friend's house right now.

Comment

That sux. Than your just going to have to take your time and gather all the **** you need.

Good luck at the junk yards.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
          98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

Out of curiosity, where are you located and who did you get the car from?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
              Out of curiosity, where are you located and who did you get the car from?
              spokane, washington, and i drove down to salem and bought it from Jason, with the awd.

Comment

I figured it was his.

Comment

Working...
                X