Oil and filter questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil and filter questions?

My mommy once told me a dumb question is one not asked, so here it goes.

Now that I have the BP in and a summer of abuse is planed. I just want to make sure I pick the right oil and filter. Last year, in the B8 I ran Mobil 1's extended performance 15w50 during the summer and used a Fram filter, but since I have started working at Advanced auto I have heard some bad things about them so I'm going to go with a Purolator Pure One. I have all so been told to run some Lucas synthetic additive.
    I don't know to much about oil's and I tried to read goldstar's oil right up but only got more confused.

What do you think is the best given my situation?

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
    98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Your mother is right.

Sorry if my writing confused you. Here are my recommendations, put as simply as possible.
    1. Don't use Lucas or any other additive.
    2. Don't use Fram filters as they seem to be poorly constructed.
    3. There are many quality filters. Purolator Pure One is fine. Mazda OEM filters are fine. Mobil 1 filters are also given high marks.
    4. Use a true synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 (regular or extended performance), Amsoil, Red Line or the new Cosworth.
    5. 15W-50 is not a good choice, even in the summer. It's viscosity is too heavy for optimal lubrication in most cases. 10W-30 should be all you need and, considering your location, 5W-30 in the winter. Always use the manufacturers viscosity recommendation as your guide if you're unsure of the product to buy.

If I haven't been clear enough or if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Just buy the OEM filter a wix or a purolator
      if you use dino oil (mineral) the best choice is Havoline or Chevron Supreme 10w30
      and 5w30 winter
      if you want to go synthetic Mobil 1 is the choice ill make
      you can also use the Castrol Syntec European Formula (AKA german Castrol)0w30

schön Öl mein Freund, sein flüssig Technik ! (Cd avaliable at http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php )

if you want the best , you can use RedLine.

A 30 wheight oil should protect and give more Hp and better fuel economy.
      Last edited by darkjedi; 04-06-2006, 02:01 AM.
      BHP=bull**** horsepower
      WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Come to the DarkSide ,Whe have Cookies!

Ok, so you wanna make your lightsabers. Yeehaw. Think about this though, when you make them...how are they going to be effective weapons? They are a melee weapon, requiring close range combat right? Well, say I've got a gun and I pop a cap in your ass way outside of the reach of your lightsaber blade....fat lot of good that did ya!

Comment

I beat the **** out of mine using FRAM and the cheapest motor oil sold.

As long as the oil is fresh is no big deal. I just opened my BP05 block after 30,000 and is as good as the first day. Compression is a healthy 230psi with 10@1 compression and shaved cylinder head. The filter I use is the one from the Ford Festiva that is bigger, works like a champ. Oil pressure is constant idle 20psi and 45-52psi at full throttle with a warm engine.

All this running on 87 octane. This is my .02...

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
          Your mother is right.

Sorry if my writing confused you. Here are my recommendations, put as simply as possible.
          1. Don't use Lucas or any other additive.
          2. Don't use Fram filters as they seem to be poorly constructed.
          3. There are many quality filters. Purolator Pure One is fine. Mazda OEM filters are fine. Mobil 1 filters are also given high marks.
          4. Use a true synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 (regular or extended performance), Amsoil, Red Line or the new Cosworth.
          5. 15W-50 is not a good choice, even in the summer. It's viscosity is too heavy for optimal lubrication in most cases. 10W-30 should be all you need and, considering your location, 5W-30 in the winter. Always use the manufacturers viscosity recommendation as your guide if you're unsure of the product to buy.

If I haven't been clear enough or if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Happy Motoring!

Thanks for the simplification. It wasn't you wright up, it's just my attention span it to short.

Why shouldn't I use a oil stabiliser like, Lucas's synthetic oil stabiliser?

Comment

Glad to help.

Since all oils, including synthetics, have their own package of additives included in the mix, adding additional substances is both unnecessary and can even be harmful due to incompatibility problems. With modern oil formulations, the idea that additives are needed is largely a myth.

For an excellent discussion of why Lucas oil additives, in particular, are not recommended, go to: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Happy Motoring
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Thanks,

So I guess it's Mobil 1 10w30 and a Pure one.

Just out of curiosity what major parts store can get Redlind stuff?

Comment

On the Red Line website you can access both local and internet dealers.
                Red Line has a reputation with racers and enthusiasts alike for creating products that perform and protect better than any on the market. No compromises.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Originally posted by photoeye0
                  Just out of curiosity what major parts store can get Redlind stuff?
                  you should be able to order it from where you work. I had the advance auto here order me 3 quarts of redline mt-90 tranny fluid. I just figured Id post that since you work there, you may be able to take advantage of your employees discount....
                  DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92dx
                    you should be able to order it from where you work. I had the advance auto here order me 3 quarts of redline mt-90 tranny fluid. I just figured Id post that since you work there, you may be able to take advantage of your employees discount....
                    I'll have to look thought the BIG book, thanks

I'm still the new guy so I'm still learning the ropes.

Comment

Additives are the devil. All these additives that people put in their engines to clean **** out, they just collect and build up as carbon in the combustion chamber. That's bad news.

I've read about using a V6 oil filter for better/more filtration. I just put one on last oil change.

Comment

i've been running mobil1 full synthetic and a fram tough gaurd filter but since i read this i'm going to switch to a mobil filter. thanks for the advice(goldstar) and asking the question(photoeye0)
                        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                          Additives are the devil. All these additives that people put in their engines to clean **** out, they just collect and build up as carbon in the combustion chamber. That's bad news.

I've read about using a V6 oil filter for better/more filtration. I just put one on last oil change.
                          What V6?

Comment

isnt it the kl03 v6 filter that fits?? And its larger capacity? I could be wrong..but I remember reading about that.
                            Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by photoeye0
                              What V6?
                              The oil filter from the 626 V6. The Mazda part no. is:
                              JEYO-14-302-9A

It has the same mounting thread, diameter,and pressure relief valve setting as OEM but its extra length gives it about 30% more internal volume.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Working...
                              X