Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle won't fully return to idle after driving, unless I pull gas pedal back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle won't fully return to idle after driving, unless I pull gas pedal back.

Sometimes when I drive down the road then come to a light, the throttle won't come back down to normal unless I pull the gas pedal back. with my foot.

I mean it sounds like the car is idling at about 1500 rpm instead of say 1000 rpm.

This seemed to happen after I installed my aftermarket pedals. I don't see how the pedal could be causing a problem since it just sits on the stock pedal. Probably just a coincedence.

I suspec that something is up with the throttle cable? I have already cleaned up the throttle body to make sure there is no coking.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

0w20, EG Fram Oil Filter for Probe 2.5L, Magnetic Drain Plug, ebay cone filter, 03 Protege Rotors, moog sway bar end-links on rear sway bar, mx3 seats, Power Sunroof, Miata Valve Cover Bolts, Gatorback Belts, Timing *14 on 87 Oct, Autolite 3924 @ .043 - 35 mpg at 67 mph (95% highway driving) with A/C and headlights on. Untested for fuel economy: Sylvania EcoBright 9004, .717 5th gear with D6 ATF, NGK wires, 195/65/15 Kumho LRR 4 wire tps

Former Car: 92 Protege DX 5 spd.

The throttle closes with a spring on the throttle body. Check it hasn't dislodged.
    There is also a pedal return spring on the firewall in the drivers footwell.
    Check that one too.

Comment

If it happened right after you put the pedals on, you must've done something to cause it.

Sometimes those aftermarket pedals come with long ass screws that stick into your carpet. Check to make sure that's not happening.

Comment

Thanks to both of you.
        93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

0w20, EG Fram Oil Filter for Probe 2.5L, Magnetic Drain Plug, ebay cone filter, 03 Protege Rotors, moog sway bar end-links on rear sway bar, mx3 seats, Power Sunroof, Miata Valve Cover Bolts, Gatorback Belts, Timing *14 on 87 Oct, Autolite 3924 @ .043 - 35 mpg at 67 mph (95% highway driving) with A/C and headlights on. Untested for fuel economy: Sylvania EcoBright 9004, .717 5th gear with D6 ATF, NGK wires, 195/65/15 Kumho LRR 4 wire tps

Former Car: 92 Protege DX 5 spd.

Comment

Originally posted by dx92beater
          Thanks to both of you.

No problem.

Good luck.

Comment

same problem here but it dont happen till after i've driven it for a little. I'm thinking it might be a old ass throttle cable sticking and needing to be lubed up.any thoughts guys.
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

check the springs a throttle cable can cause that but most likely its weak springs.
              mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                ...Sometimes those aftermarket pedals come with long ass screws that stick into your carpet. Check to make sure that's not happening.
                That happened to my friend who I bought my car off of.

I have since thrown the pedals into the trash

Comment

Originally posted by SleptWithURWife
                  That happened to my friend who I bought my car off of.

I have since thrown the pedals into the trash
                  Yeah, that can be a scary experience.

I just cut my bolts way down so they stopped making holes in my floormat.

Comment

Working...
                  X