V-6 in a Protege ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-6 in a Protege ?

I have a 92 MX-3 GS. What parts from it do I need to drop a V-6 in the protege ? Any other parts need to be customized ( motor mounts , Tranny mounts , axles....etc ) Cannot find any info anywhere.
    c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

totally not worth it (130hp mx-3 v6 + weight vs. 127hp 1.8bp and not as heavy...). if you're gunna do a v6 swap, use the parts off the mx-3 to swap a probe klze (jspec) or if you're gunna stay in the us, at least use the kl03.

i believe most of the front end (tranny, axels possibly?) but im not too familiar with the swap.
    Seth
    2010 Mazda3 i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by sfd
      totally not worth it (130hp mx-3 v6 + weight vs. 127hp 1.8bp and not as heavy...). if you're gunna do a v6 swap, use the parts off the mx-3 to swap a probe klze (jspec) or if you're gunna stay in the us, at least use the kl03.

i believe most of the front end (tranny, axels possibly?) but im not too familiar with the swap.
      Never said i was dropping in the pos 1.8 V6 ( <<< happy now ) just what parts I needed to drop a V6 into a protege.
      Last edited by purewhitemp5; 04-27-2006, 03:48 AM.

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Must have missed a post somewhere but I found the info I needed.
        I must say even though the post is old (2004) after reading it you realize just how retarded some people are ! I mean someone asks a question , Gets the right answer from someone and then keeps asking the same question over and over. Even after several people post the same or similar info , the same tard asks the same question over and over. But what tops this is the person that skips the first 3 pages just to ask the same question that was asked and answered on page 1.

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
          Never said i was dropping in the pos 1.8 just what parts I needed to drop a V6 into a protege.

hahahahahha... he told you not to drop in the pos V6. the 1.8 is what you want.

Originally posted by sfd
          totally not worth it (130hp mx-3 v6 + weight vs. 127hp 1.8bp and not as heavy...).
          ClubProtege

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
            Never said i was dropping in the pos 1.8 just what parts I needed to drop a V6 into a protege.
            You had better not be referring to the BP as a POS.

You must be talking about the 1.8L v6.

Comment

( he is talking about the 1.8bp)

Originally posted by sfd
              totally not worth it (130hp mx-3 v6 + weight vs. 127hp 1.8bp and not as heavy...).
              ClubProtege

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie94Pro
                ( he is talking about the 1.8bp)
                The MX-3 also came with a 1.8L v6 though.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here. The BP is far from a POS.

Comment

Hmmm lets see some clarification is in order here : 1.8 V6...Bad 1.8 I4....good
                  As I was refering to what parts I needed to put a V6 in to a protege and not what I needed to put the 1.8 V6 from the MX-3 into a protege. common sense would dictate(sp) that the BP is way better than the K8 and a KLZE-KLde hybrid boosted is way better than a BP. And I meen Better as in way more torque.

Comment

Try gathering more info on the KL swaps on www.mx-3.com.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                    Member of MX-3.com
                    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shades
                      Try gathering more info on the KL swaps on www.mx-3.com.
                      If I was dropping a KLZE in a mx-3 then yes I would goto mx-3.com which I have. But since I was looking at dropping a V6 into a protege I thought it would be best to post here. Since I already have a MX-3 GS and looking to obtain a 90 LX this weekend I am looking at my options. Also a member of MX-3.com
                      Last edited by purewhitemp5; 04-27-2006, 03:46 AM.

Comment

this is what your looking for. it has a list of parts that you are going to need.
                        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

i'm currently doing a mx-3 subframe/engine/tranny swap on my protege gt.

it all bolts right in, 30mm wider subframe front/rear.

its E-Z. i've never done anything like this before, 6 hours in and im already 4 bolts away from having the front end on the ground, by front end i mean subframe/spindles/axles/harness/engine/tranny/crossmembers/rack&pinion/everything

JACK
                          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

So has anyone made more progress yet? This sounds like a very intriuging swap. Didn't someone on thes board swap a MX-3 V6 into their protege already? I think it was jitb37. And a boosted KLZE in a protege sounds awesome.
                            Last edited by TRRC; 05-08-2006, 11:03 PM.

Comment

the bp engine is a strong lil engine but i think any 4 banger is a waste of money pretty much, if i had the space id shove a v8 in my protege and toss in a solid rear axle along with stiffening the chassy, that would be the best protege IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X