1.6L B6 familia GT, turbo charged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.6L B6 familia GT, turbo charged

I own a 90 model familia GT, the only difference between it and a GTX is the 1.8 turbo charged engine.
    My car has the same B6 engine but only 1.6L and not turbo charged.

I was wonder if it possible to add a turbo charger to this model?

How much would this cost?

Where can I can more about these cars and the improvements that can be made on them?

Thanks for the help guys.

I thought the 90-94 Familia GT's had just the 1.8L DOHC BP in it, if it does have the 1.6L SOHC I am now calling my 323 a GT! ahah
    Back to the question, it would be cheaper to just drop a BPT in there! :suckie:
    Fully kitted, Sparco seats, 17 inch AR rims, JDM parts to the MAX, Dropped 2 inchs, 10.1 inch MX3 GS big brake, Custom Copper paint, CF Hood, RESIDENT MAZDA PARTS GUY! I Work For Agincourt Mazda

Comment

Where are you located?

It's "easy" to turbo the B6 since turbo versions of the engine already existed...just a matter of getting the exhuast manifold(might want intake too), turbo, downpipe, ECU, AFM(though you could use a RX-7 AFM), etc etc.

All depends on where you live, how easy the parts are to source. I've seen several B6Ts at local junkyards.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

if it's a B6 then all you need to do is find the parts from a B6T, there around. and for it being a GT, i don;t know only canada had the GT name, and colin call your 323 what ever you want, you know it's not a real GT like mine is

JustinGT

She's a Hoe...... FO SHO

Comment

First off, is it the DOHC B6 or the SOHC, second double check and make sure it's not a DOHC 1.8, then it would be the BP which can be easily turbo'd as can can the DOHC 1.6L. if you have the SOHC B6, good luck turbo'ing that thing, I just started a turbo project for my B6.

Have fun!

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

Comment

That was a fast response, so it looks like these forums are alive and well.

First about what the car actually is,

From what I know it’s a 89 model familia GT has a 1.6L DOHC 16valve B6 engine, was purchased in New Zealand in 2000 for $5,000 and has a weight of 1020kg.

Sorry about the file size for dailup people they are about 600kb each, didnt have any editing tools handy.

I thought you guys might not believe me, so I went down to the garage at 1.30am after getting home from poker and took a few quick pictures of some key features.

The actual entire look of the car and interior is the same as a GTX and GT-R; I’m basing that on looking at the other models, no actually 100% proof.

I am living in Sydney Australia, where the Familia edition was never official imported only private imports mostly from Japan and New Zealand.

Whats a BPT ?

Oh almost forgot, it’s a hatchback 2 door front wheel drive. Unlike the GT-R 4WD

Comment

That's a BP, 1.8L DOHC.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
              On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
              My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

the motor in your Familia is not a 1.6L, it's a 1.8L DOHC it's identical to the US protege LX (sedan) engine. or rare canadian protege GT. the B6 is totally different. and your motor is very easy to turbo just get some Ford laser TX3 parts since your in Sydney Australia, should be easy to get, we have to import from there or japan.

JustinGT
                Last edited by JustinGT; 05-12-2006, 02:43 PM.

She's a Hoe...... FO SHO

Comment

When buying it we were told it was a 1.8L but after seeing this sticker under the bonnet I thought otherwise.

It says 1597 CC , I don’t read jap so I’m not sure if that’s engine capacity and what the rest of it says.

Any jap’s or jap readers on these forums?

Also hand another question about the engine. A few months ago the engine was mysteriously losing power, then just stopped working all together.

Took it to the mechanics, after a week or so of looking for the problem he found that this wheel that was controlling the cam times had worn down the gap where this key would normal sit tightly.
                  As in now the gap on this wheel was too large and the key was slipping and stuffing up the cam timings.

Sorry about the lack of correct terminology, I just forgot all the names he gave me.
                  The part I’m talking about is located above the right front wheel sticking out of the engine. (its near or has something to do with the timing belt)

The mechanic said to fix it correctly you would need to pull out the engine and have the piece machined but that would cost up in the thousands.
                  He ordered some liquid metal, filled in the gap and replaced the key giving it a tighter fit.

Wonder what you guys think of this, have you ever heard of any one else having this problem?

Lately it feels like it’s getting worn down again, I’m constantly being beat by my mate’s ****ty civic hatch and 2001 Toyota corolla 1.8L.

Comment

i would still say it's a 1.8 DOHC and not a B6, even know the sticker says so, that engine is identical, the engine bay os too, other then it being right hand drive and the boosters on the right side.

here's a pic of my engine, looks identical, mines just dirty (old pic tho)

good way to really know what it is, is to look on the head, in 2 placesright beside the distrubtor, it will have a marking that may say BP something, another place is right above the exhaust manifold (heat cheild mihgt be in the way) it will say BP, there might be hard to see but they will tell you forsure.

JustinGT

She's a Hoe...... FO SHO

Comment

Originally posted by JustinGT
                      good way to really know what it is, is to look on the head, in 2 placesright beside the distrubtor, it will have a marking that may say BP something, another place is right above the exhaust manifold (heat cheild mihgt be in the way) it will say BP, there might be hard to see but they will tell you forsure.

JustinGT
                      BP-05.

Very nice car Moforila!

Comment

That's a rare model... 1st time I've actually seen an owner's pics

***EDIT***No, apparently its not a BP see this thead: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20759

As far as your engine troubles, it sounds like a short-nose crank failure. Read about it here for some good info (the early miata had the same issue):

The sluggish power is a result of that failure.
                        To fix it correctly; yes, you'd have to pull the motor and replace the crank......
                        Last edited by naprotejay; 05-13-2006, 01:43 PM.
                        Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

Ok, found a few numbers not sure whats what so wrote them all down.

Exhaust manifold: B675-1

VID plate: BG6-S

Injection: B61E

JustinGT, I wasnt able to find the first number on the head, I might be looking at the wrong thing tho.

naprotejay, spot on with that miata link. Good to see that some one was able to understand my retarded mechanical terms ( wheel sticking out of the engine :rofl: )
                          Last edited by moforila; 05-13-2006, 08:42 PM.

Comment

That is for sure a 1.6L DOHC engine!! they are almost identicle to the BP but the small differences can be found if looking for them! By the way are you interested in removing those JDM stickers off ure bonnet and selling them to me??
                            Fully kitted, Sparco seats, 17 inch AR rims, JDM parts to the MAX, Dropped 2 inchs, 10.1 inch MX3 GS big brake, Custom Copper paint, CF Hood, RESIDENT MAZDA PARTS GUY! I Work For Agincourt Mazda

Comment

So what are the diffrence between my engine and the BP?

colins323, What are JDM stickers ?

Comment

Working...
                              X