where's the oil leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamaican
    i think i can eliminate the engine... because the silicone that seals the oil pan was just replaced... and i can't think of anything else that would be leaking from the engine.

the inspection sheet does say "inner axel seal (right)"

so what parts should i buy from the dealership? i can pick up the stuff tomorrow. what would you guys replace?
    The real main seal could be leaking too.

I wouldn't just throw parts at it.

Sure, seals may be cheap, but a lot of them can be laborious to replace.

Comment

agreed... clean it with carb cleaner like everyone else says, and take another look... it could be more simple than you think...

and if its your passenger side axle, you better thank the Gods because that driver side is a BITCH if you have never had to pull it before... memories... ''f'' a c-clip
      1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
      1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
      2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
      2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

well everything on the driver's side of the tranny looks clean

Comment

clean the tranny yet?
          DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

no... i just got off work and it's raining.

btw... what's the proper way to jack up the car with one of these?

the cross member is more on the driver's side so when i use that, the driver's side is almost twice as high as the passenger's side... and i can't really find anything in the middle...

Comment

I'd use the pinchwelds, and go from the side.

Comment

the leak has kinda stopped for about 2 months now... you think all the tranny fluid is gone? i don't know how to check the manual tranny fluid, i don't see any dipstick or anything

Comment

the leak has kinda stopped for about 2 months now... you think all the tranny fluid is gone? i don't know how to check the manual tranny fluid, i don't see any dipstick or anything
                  You would know if you had no tranny fluid. You would've made a "Damnit, my tranny blew up" thread by now.
                  Last edited by Jho; 10-22-2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I had a leak between the speed sensor and the speedo cable on the tranny and it looked similar.

The liquid is too clear to be engine oil IMO.

I also use my tow hooks to raise the car with a hydraulic lift and then I put axle stands under the frame for extra support - dont just use the jack by itself

Comment

too much to read so Im just posting.
                      First off, any oil leak on the engine or tranny goes down. So, you're only showing us the under chassis where the leak is actually sitting. Is there any leak on the top of the engine? i.e. the valve cover, by the block, cam shaft seal, etc....take a pic then post it here. Thanks.
                      '03 Protege5 sunlight silver
                      '07 Mazdaspeed3 black mica

Comment

no oil leaks on top... trust me, i did valve cover gasket and disty o ring, haven't done head gasket, but i did a compression check and got 185 on all 4

it's coming from like... below the firewall-ish

i'll check it... thanks for the pic

Comment

no oil leaks on top... trust me, i did valve cover gasket and disty o ring, haven't done head gasket, but i did a compression check and got 185 on all 4

it's coming from like... below the firewall-ish

i'll check it... thanks for the pic
                          by the firewall? hmm....power steering?
                          '03 Protege5 sunlight silver
                          '07 Mazdaspeed3 black mica

Comment

Originally posted by Tjay
                            First off, any oil leak on the engine or tranny goes down.
                            Not always true. A rear main seal, rear oil pan, or inner axel seal leak can be flung up and back by the flywheel. This makes a big mess and makes it harder to pin point the source of the leak.

Comment

Working...
                            X