X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a pretty good one for MX-3s IIRC
    2005 Mazda 3

Comment

If you buy a CAI you don't have to take it completely off... essentially if you have a 2 piece design it IS a short stack setup with a secondary extention (from the MAF). I never take mine off unless I know its going to be super rainy. It literally takes less than 15 minutes to do so.
      1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
      1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
      2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
      2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
        yeah that protege one is junk I bought that one cuz it was cheaper than buying a new air intake tube. If you will take a look at the huge hole next to the nipple , the intake came with nothing to attach anything there ! Its just a big frickin hole !! I had to cover it up with a hose connector and some hose clamps. its junk!! The only thing good about it is it got me through state inspection. Now if you want an intake with all the bells and whistles and has all the proper hook-ups find a MX-3 cold air intake on E-Bay. Did I say look , I meant search cuz this one only shows up from time to time.
        That's the SOHC MX-3 CAI, and it fits pretty well.

Comment

thx for the links cause i can never find anything for the 1st gens....

i saw on cardomain some guys actually used that protege kit with the L elbow which i assume will effect the air flow.

I found some "universal K&N filters" i wonder if those would work since they come in diff. sizes and i can jus get some pipe(s) and heat resistant tape to put the intake system together.

I don't if it's a good idea or not, but i'm sure it won't look pretty haha...

i'm sorry if i sound like an idiot but wat do the terms, CAI and MAF mean?
          92 Protege SE: Short RAM, Pioneer Sound System.

Comment

also, wat is the big difference between a cold air intake and a short ram intake?

....besides that the short ram makes a loud noise for high revs....and the cold air makes a noise when the air is intaked.

Comment

for this mx3 one : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true
              do i still need that silver computer air flow meter thins still?

i also looked at this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

is any of the above good?

Comment

They're all the same crap really. I bought one off of ebay not too long ago similar ot the blue one. Now, I know that power gains on the 1.6 SOHC with this mod are pretty much less to nothing, but I still went on and bought it. It turned out to be total crap, since after removing the stock airbox assembly, the intake would be just loose, jumping around whenever I drove too fast, damaging the filter quite a bit from the underside. In the end, I went back to OEM.

Comment

the diff between a cai and sri is, essentialy, the cai isolates the filter from the engine bay in the fender well to have access to colder, denser air.

the short ram is basicaly a short intake tube w/ a filter...good for high rpm, although, since the filter is located in the engine bay, it will be sucking in hot air...

Both have benifits, but its mainly up to you.

Hope I cleared that up a little for you..
                  DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by xerooption
                    Stay away from the expensive fancy filters like in the first link and also the Short Ram Intake in the last link its junk and universal fit to about 12 cars. If ya want to start cheap and cant wait for the MX-3 Cold Air Intake go for the filter adapter and filter in the second link. or custom make your own find out how by using the search button.
                    c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ_PaRaNoIsE
                      They're all the same crap really. I bought one off of ebay not too long ago similar ot the blue one. Now, I know that power gains on the 1.6 SOHC with this mod are pretty much less to nothing, but I still went on and bought it. It turned out to be total crap, since after removing the stock airbox assembly, the intake would be just loose, jumping around whenever I drove too fast, damaging the filter quite a bit from the underside. In the end, I went back to OEM.
                      blue one? as in this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

??

Comment

Originally posted by 92dx
                        the diff between a cai and sri is, essentialy, the cai isolates the filter from the engine bay in the fender well to have access to colder, denser air.

the short ram is basicaly a short intake tube w/ a filter...good for high rpm, although, since the filter is located in the engine bay, it will be sucking in hot air...

Both have benifits, but its mainly up to you.

Hope I cleared that up a little for you..
                        yeh it clears up the definituion for each one but like this one( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1), basiclly says only ADAPTER AIR FILTER INTAKE...so i dunno if it is a cai or sri...?

Comment

Stay away from the expensive fancy filters like in the first link and also the Short Ram Intake in the last link its junk and universal fit to about 12 cars. If ya want to start cheap and cant wait for the MX-3 Cold Air Intake go for the filter adapter and filter in the second link. or custom make your own find out how by using the search button.
                          so i guess that 2nd link isn't a cold air intake but basiclly jus a plain filter...
                          i'm guessing the ebay item will list the cai as "mx-3 cold air intake"

Comment

so i guess that 2nd link isn't a cold air intake but basiclly jus a plain filter...

i'm kinda tempted by the one that Jho recommended, http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

but i guess jus modding the "L" elbow with a bendable plastic pipe will probably solve the unsmoothness of the air flow.

what do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by xerooption

i'm kinda tempted by the one that Jho recommended, http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

but i guess jus modding the "L" elbow with a bendable plastic pipe will probably solve the unsmoothness of the air flow.

what do you guys think?
                              That intake is junk.

I only posted that link to prove a point.

Buy a 90-93 Accord CAI like this one:

Comment

What air intake i should use on my 91 dx protege?

Comment

Working...
                                X