Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Temperature/Fan Problem

So here's the deal:

I drive my pro everyday and just recently after driving it for a while and then idling at a stoplight or something, my temp guage goes up almost hitting the top. Once I start going again I guess the air just flows through and it cools down.

I turn on the a/c and the fan works. Could this be a thermometer problem or something that isn't signaling my fan to start when it gets to hot? if so... where is the thermometer?

thanks in advance.
    '91 protege lx.

temp sensor. mine did the same thing. changed that and it was perfect again. did you look to see if the fan came on at all with the ac off? if it dont come on then start at the sensor. its located on the thermostat housing
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Remove your fan relay and jump it to see if your cooling fan comes on.

It sounds like you need a water thermoswitch.

Comment

sorry i've been out of town.

i tried jumping the relay and the fan works fine, whenever i turn on the a/c it comes on too. wouldn't my temp guage just read cold all the time if the sensor was broken?
        '91 protege lx.

Comment

Originally posted by wengmc
          sorry i've been out of town.

i tried jumping the relay and the fan works fine, whenever i turn on the a/c it comes on too. wouldn't my temp guage just read cold all the time if the sensor was broken?
          Welcome back.

The sensor for the temp guage is separate from the sensor for the cooling fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
            Welcome back.

The sensor for the temp guage is separate from the sensor for the cooling fan.
            $20 says its the thermosenser aka fanturneronersensor
            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
              It sounds like you need a water thermoswitch.

Comment

thanks guys, this weekend i'll look at the thermosensor, i've been swamped at work

is the thermosensor located in the thermostat housing? and what would it look like?
                Last edited by wengmc; 06-29-2006, 08:26 PM.
                '91 protege lx.

Comment

Originally posted by wengmc
                  is the thermosensor located in the thermostat housing? and what would it look like?

Yes:
                  Last edited by Jho; 10-22-2006, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X