No announcement yet.

What could be wrong with my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disconnecting the battery while running is a very bad idea. i've got a term for ya, it's called "power spike". it can fry your ECU or other electronics in your car.
    Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Only reason I did that was cause I was told that it was an easy way to test it. I did take it to one of those places and got it tested and they told me that the battery was fine, and that the alternator wasnt charging. That was the first time I replaced it. The second time I installed the alternator and we disconnected the battery completely and it stayed running for a bit, but then it died again. The car will stay running as long as the battery has juice. But after a while my charge light comes on and it starts to die out. I am tempted to just take it to the Mazda dealership that it was bought from and have them at least diagnose it. Just want the thing to be fixed. It is frustrating having a perfectly good low mileage car just sitting and collecting dust.
      94 Protege DX... A work in progress.
      Spring Tech Springs
      Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
      Cone Filter
      17" Rotas
      More to Come......

Comment

well if you can't figure it out, take it to them and pay the $80 diagnostic fee. After they find the problem and tell you what it is, look at your options; i.e. is it a part you can get cheap from a J/Y and replace yourself or would it be easier to have the stealership do it.
        2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Thats most likely what I will be doing. Gonna try to get it there on Monday or something. Hopefully it aint gonna cost a grip.
          Spring Tech Springs
          Cone Filter
          17" Rotas
          More to Come......

Comment

The first time you said that you determined that the battery was not charging by using a voltmeter or some sort of device.

Have you tried testing it again?

Comment

Your battery could have a shorted cell, If you hae a Wal Mart Tire Lube express near ya you they will test your charging system for free and tell you if your battery is bad or good and even your alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                The first time you said that you determined that the battery was not charging by using a voltmeter or some sort of device.

Have you tried testing it again?

I have not tested it again yet. I am gonna take it to a local shop and have it tested before I take it out to the dealership.
                Spring Tech Springs
                Cone Filter
                17" Rotas
                More to Come......

Comment

Make sure you check the harmonic balancer. My kid's g/f has a '93 DX, and it wouldn't hold a charge even after the battery and alt. were replaced. I finally got a chance to look at it and saw a fine black powder all over the front of the engine. Got it started and the damn pulleys not turning. The rubber had come apart. $10 and a trip to Pick n pull fixed that.
                  Current-'08 MZ3 Hatch auto, '04 MZ3 Hatch 5-spd, '03 Pro-Lx 5 spd,
                  '56 VW Cal Ragtop
                  www.cardomain.com/ride/2285117/1

Comment

hmmm.... never really thought of that being the problem.
                    Spring Tech Springs
                    Cone Filter
                    17" Rotas
                    More to Come......

Comment

normally when the light comes on it is not the battery but rather the alternator. you may have a wire issue. if you had the system tested by a machine that places a load on the system it should just give you a general good or bad on the charging system. i would have the system checked with the new alternator.

Comment

Working...
                      X