AT leak question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AT leak question

I've isolated the AT small leak in my '93 pro (83,000kms.) to only those times when the car is not accelerating (ie. only when slowing down) and only when hot.

there are never any leaks under the car when parked or while accelerating.

any ideas what part of the AT would cause that kind of leaking?
    thanks,
    Mike

Pan gasket, main front seal or axle seals.

Comment

Thanks Denis,
      I've put some conditioner / stop leak stuff in to see what happens and it seems to have slowed the (minor) leak down to a mere trickle.

So for now I'll just keep and eye on it and wait until it gets worse and run to the shop,
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by skidrow_joe
        Thanks Denis,
        I've put some conditioner / stop leak stuff in to see what happens and it seems to have slowed the (minor) leak down to a mere trickle.

So for now I'll just keep and eye on it and wait until it gets worse and run to the shop,
        Mike

It's too late, but just so you know, anything that stops a leak isn't always the best idea. While it may seem to "fix" or temporarily slow down the problem, it also has its downsides, which often out weigh the purpose of using it.

For instance, alot of people throw the aluminum shavings in their radiator when they have a cooling system leak. Sure it may slow the leak down, but it also clogs the heater core, radiator, and any other small orifaces in the cooling system. Instead of isolating the source of the leak and fixing it properly, you often exaggerate the problem by making a worse one down the road.

The tranny conditioner most likely has an additive that does nothing but swell the seals and cause them to temporarily seal better. When they can no longer take the stress, they blow out, and you have a disaster on your hands.

I'm not trying to scare you or tell you that this is going to happen. I'm just giving my input. Good luck.

Comment

yeah, I agree .. a lot of those additives are nothing more than snake oil.

hope to have the car in next week for a proper transmission inspection and repair.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by skidrow_joe
            yeah, I agree .. a lot of those additives are nothing more than snake oil.

hope to have the car in next week for a proper transmission inspection and repair.
            Mike
            Good luck Mike.

I hope all goes well.

Comment

Working...
            X