No announcement yet.

Honda pistons and rods on BP engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new info i was told that the rods to use are for Integra GSR they are longer and the piston is also for honda but the guy dont have the info for today he is check in me out but he told me that the piston is shorter so it works like a stroker kit so shades help this hole set up will cost about $650 for eagle rods and some forged pistons instead of pauter rods only that goes for $650 only for rods
    sigpic

Comment

Is he using the BP crank?... Did he get it grinded offset to make that setup work?

Cause if it's longer and the pistons are shorter, does this all measure up to the same length then?... you're not gaining anything except saving yourself a pretty penny which in turn might cause headaches.

Lets just say it's longer and the skirts of the pistons are just shorter, doesn't that run the risk of the piston floating above the deck of the block?... cause that's not good.

What about the size of the rods as in the rod journals (where the rod attaches to the crank)?... aren't those different in size as well. I'm pretty sure of it.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
      Member of MX-3.com
      1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
      1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

go to miata.net and search for eagle rods and arias pistons, couple post on there.
        2005 Mazda 3

Comment

rod ratio alterations....
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Info...

Acura GSR
            Bore and stroke: 3.189 x 3.433
            Big end of rod: 1.8898
            Crank journal: 1.7693 - 1.7699

Mazda BP
            Bore and stroke: 3.2682 x 3.346
            Crank journal: 1.7693-1.7699

So it seems that the engines are almost identical... except for one thing... how the hell are you gonna deal with the .087" of more stroke and the bore size is bigger on the BP anyways to make up for the longer stroke. Plus how are you gonna find pistons that big to fit the bore size? It's almost .080" bigger... and no one makes pistons that big.

More info is needed from this guy you know.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
            Member of MX-3.com
            1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
            1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shades
              Info...

Acura GSR

Mazda BP

So it seems that the engines are almost identical... except for one thing... how the hell are you gonna deal with the .087" of more stroke and the bore size is bigger on the BP anyways to make up for the longer stroke. Plus how are you gonna find pistons that big to fit the bore size? It's almost .080" bigger... and no one makes pistons that big.

More info is needed from this guy you know.
              Edt: I'm going to try and dig up the details.

"Honda B16 Rods. Contact Eagle Rods and ask then to do the modification for you. Their rods go for about $399. Don't know what they are charging for the modification though. "

Modifications they do:
              "narrow big end and use 21mm wrist pin pistons with correct CH. "

Haven't found the piston info yet.
              Last edited by Silentbob343; 07-28-2006, 07:49 PM.
              2005 Mazda 3

Comment

[QUOTE=Shades][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]Info...

Acura GSR

Mazda BP

See !! maybe it's true.
                I told you guys here in PR you see a lot of crazy things.

He only told me that the piston is an .40 or .60 over from the stock one of the honda and the piston head from the honda is lower, that way it does't go out from the BP block.
                I wich to have more info but thats why I put the tread to see if we as a group could find out.
                sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=protege94 P.R]
                  Originally posted by Shades
                  [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]Info...

Acura GSR

Mazda BP

See !! maybe it's true.
                  I told you guys here in PR you see a lot of crazy things.

He only told me that the piston is an .40 or .60 over from the stock one of the honda and the piston head from the honda is lower, that way it does't go out from the BP block.
                  I wich to have more info but thats why I put the tread to see if we as a group could find out.
                  I already knew it was true.....
                  2005 Mazda 3

Comment

What about the wrist pin height? The BP pistons already have a fairly high pin in them. and this SCREAMS piston's floating up. slap issues, and altering the rod ratio!!

Longer rods do not make a "Stroker effect"!! a new crank does that.

There is some hardcore machining involeved to make **** fit and work. This is not a "so-and-so did it so can I" issue this is taking something that DOES NOT fit and making it fit. And you are dealing with the odds-on-favorite most important piece of your car.

Saving a few pennies vs a warpedhead/cracked head/pitted block/piston slap

Just say with what you have. the stock BPZE rods are out of the GTX BPDET they are good to 350bhp. And there are no differences between the JDM and USDM engines for the protege. they got the same engine everywhere.

the real upgrade is if you can get your hands on a set of B6DET rods out of the udm GTX (1.6L Turbo) those rods are good for 650bhp. Miata guys drool over these rods. and there are lots of them around expecially in Montreal.
                    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                    So his engine he goosed
                    With much too much boost,
                    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

lol
                      I figured this out 2-3 months ago.

You want a B18C rod, Type-R would be best for the stockers.
                      It's ~5mm longer than stock and the journal size is 3mm smaller.
                      That 3mm gives you ~1.5mm to play around with offset grindng the crank.
                      Pin size is bigger so you'll need to bush the rod to fit a stock wrist pin.

subtract you're added rod length and strok from the piston CH. play around with the ring thicknesses and you're there. just have to decide what you want your piston deck height to be. the math's real simple (until you start getting it piston velocities and accel) and i ain't giving away any more info for free.....

You could do a stronger, lighter honduh rods for 1/2 the price of a set of GTR rods.....

Comment

Miata.net
                        5th November 2005, 12:52
                        2005 Mazda 3

Comment

good for them. i didn't find the info there either. the miata guy on the gtx list a couple years ago but he was referencing the wrong rod...

has one of the miata guys actually built a honduh rodded engine?

Comment

And I guess I should add that I was working out how to make a 1.8L B6T, not a stroker BP.

Comment

Working...
                            X