The return of 91protegeDX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The return of 91protegeDX

Hey everyone....Im back....after months and months....of "saabing" ..... you can all figure out why ive returned....Countless hours and overnight stays at my shop dosing off on the creeper......un recorded ammounts of $$$ dumped into that POS on wheels....and there it sits.....with shot bearings and a dead water pump.....So...ive returned....with a newly approved $4500 loan.....Ive got a good paying job now but...cant wait to save up and.....no car....and I DO NOT.....want to buy another beat around car..because...i am a gear head....from top to bottom...and i WILL dump money into it and develope huge attachment to the car, no matter what it is.....thats just me. Ive been labeled a compulsive car buyer....only at the age of 18....the car im buying with my loan would be my 7th, since turning 17. not because of crashes or anything....but because i cant sit still with one thing for to long..

The protege is being loaned to a very good friend who is reminding me of a slipping clutch. Ive only got 2 cars right now one being the pro...and the other a 1993 saab 9000cse money pit. turbo 5 speed...drool...when its running...anyway...after some much needed bedroom pimping and the "un-named" #7 car....im going to have around 800-1000 left....keep in mind i make plenty of money at work...just i didnt feel like saving...so...pro...or principal payments...Im going to be throwing some nice springs/shocks on the pro along with rims/rubber...other then that I want a BP-T ...the engines not a problem, ive got that much under control BUT...

What...transmission do I use...I personally like going 80 mph and barely breaking 2200 rpm.....so....F series....But.....the F series is crap in a box, so ive heard and ive priced up clutch kits for the ammount of power im gonna be pushing and the cost is rediculous next to the 220mm g series....why bother....Im pushing towards the g series anyway but...could someone tell me what the mph/rpm ratio is like on that thing? ive always been one for taller gearing.

Are the miata blocks stronger? I know the intake/exhaust goes the wrong way but thats not a real problem. I plan on building this engine up dry, in my shed. Ive got time, tools, and patience. Im definatly going to use the 99+ miata head and probably just make an alum box off the bottom miata runner.......ill custom make a turbo mani.....its good to have plasma tools at work...anyway thats enough for one night....good to see everyones still hanging around...
    Last edited by 91ProtegeDX; 07-25-2006, 10:40 PM.
    1991 Mazda protege DX (SOHC) 5spd
    Short ram cold air
    stock muffler back on
    NGK plugs
    14inch miata steelies w/toyo proxes p185/60r14 82H - back
    13inch protege steelies w/toyo proxes S rated - front
    stripped a/c

1993 saab 9000cse turbo 5/spd
    Garrett TB-25, solenoid cut off at 17psi
    Gutted cat w/borla muffler
    Aero spec clutch (7k miles old)
    Running 5w20 full synthetic...(241,***)
    16inch Aero rims
    Aero Moldings
    Bridgestone Potenza 205/55VR16 91V - all 4

Sorry to hear your unfortunate luck with the Saab. They are either really nice, or total pieces of ****. They definitely aren't cheap either.

I recommend the stronger G series transmission, especially if you plan on going forced induction. I would just get a complete BP-T and swap it in with a G series transmission.

Comment

Why do you think they call them Saabs. Because the owners are always coming out of the repair shop sobbing.
      c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

yeah, it was a fun car and i only bought because i actually work at a shop so i didnt think to much about a huge repair bill....problem was i was there every saturday/sunday working on it.....starter....exhaust manifold...head gasket.....$$ and $.....thats all been fixed actually but....the car cosmetically is falling apart....the engine ran very strong until the water pump decided to seize up.....and i do NOT ....feel like pulling that engine....its built like a freakin tank....im not ready for that ****. Jeep time....

I had a feeling I would cave and just get a BP-T/G. Now i just need to get some good struts/wheels....and clean the car up and ive got a weekend track car....now.....im getting ahead of myself but....how good are stock lx axles? off lets say a regular "lx,bp,5spd" because i DO plan on pushing some power out of that little car. I want to do this right the first time....and not be out of luck later.
        Last edited by 91ProtegeDX; 07-26-2006, 05:33 PM.
        Short ram cold air
        stock muffler back on
        NGK plugs
        stripped a/c

16inch Aero rims
        Aero Moldings

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
          Why do you think they call them Saabs. Because the owners are always coming out of the repair shop sobbing.

That's funny, our customers are always smiling ear to ear when they leave. Then they bring us cookies and brownies and mail us cards and ****.

Originally posted by 91ProtegeDX
          yeah, it was a fun car and i only bought because i actually work at a shop so i didnt think to much about a huge repair bill....problem was i was there every saturday/sunday working on it.....starter....exhaust manifold...head gasket.....$$ and $.....thats all been fixed actually but....the car cosmetically is falling apart....the engine ran very strong until the water pump decided to seize up.....and i do NOT ....feel like pulling that engine....its built like a freakin tank....im not ready for that ****. Jeep time....

I had a feeling I would cave and just get a BP-T/G. Now i just need to get some good struts/wheels....and clean the car up and ive got a weekend track car....now.....im getting ahead of myself but....how good are stock lx axles? off lets say a regular "lx,bp,5spd" because i DO plan on pushing some power out of that little car. I want to do this right the first time....and not be out of luck later.

You don't have to pull the engine to put a water pump in your Saab.

About the LX axels, how much power to you plan on putting down?

From what I've read, it's not the axels that are the weak link, it's the CV joints. If you want to get something a little beefier, get the Kia axels.

Comment

[quote=Jho]That's funny, our customers are always smiling ear to ear when they leave. Then they bring us cookies and brownies and mail us cards and ****.

Well thats because you live up north with all the happy go lucky people. Around here every one always says " its gonna cost how much!!"
            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Jho, thats wierd. Our customers do the exact same thing at our shop. holy crap when its anywhere close to any holiday our shop is LOADED with cakes,pies, bakery stuff, assorted meats/cheese. You name it..Were still expensive as hell...but im not complaining.
              Short ram cold air
              stock muffler back on
              NGK plugs
              stripped a/c

16inch Aero rims
              Aero Moldings

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeDX
                Jho, thats wierd. Our customers do the exact same thing at our shop. holy crap when its anywhere close to any holiday our shop is LOADED with cakes,pies, bakery stuff, assorted meats/cheese. You name it..Were still expensive as hell...but im not complaining.

Yup.

And the fridge is always stocked with beer. We've never bought any, it seems to be the popular gift.

Comment

HEY...are though's "special" brownies
                  If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Comment

i knew you couldnt stay away from the pro for that long. good luck.
                    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Working...
                    X