Spark Plug WOES - popping out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug WOES - popping out

So I was cruising the Garden State Pkwy yesterday at about 75 mph, when all of a sudden my car starts misfiring and running on 3. I immediately turn off the ignition and pull over on the side. After a quick glance over the engine compartment I realize that my #2 ([1 2 3 4]) spark plug has come out of its hole, but luckily was still attached to the wire (dont know how but thank GOD).

Long story short, a tow truck came, I borrowed his plug wrench for about 30 seconds, and after an hour and a half was on my way (stupid me for taking the toolbox out of the trunk to fit beach chairs in )

Anyway, I drove about 200 more miles on it yesterday without a problem. Today during a hard acceleration out of my driveway, the same thing happened. I turned around and sputtered the ol' pro back into the garage. Anybody ever need to have their spark plug holes re-tapped? I'm getting rid of the car within days now but don't want to dissclaim that when selling it!

Could it just be the plug (this time the plug didnt stay connected) or will I have to re-tap?

Suggestions? Solutions?

That is what happens when people dont torque them down correctly or install the crush washer. You can heli-coil it without pulling the head if you do it correctly, or just retap it if the threads are still intact. Some cheap spark plugs dont like being removed and reinstalled with cheap crush washers, try a new plug and cleaning up the threads and see if it holds.

-Tyler
    '88 MX-6 GT - The Never-Ending Project
    '91 4WD Protege
    '88 Bronco - 351W

Want to Buy a 4WD Protege?

Comment

scary... Indeed clean & check the threads in the heada. you'll know if it needs a helicoil.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

thanks for the help

unfortunately with me getting my new car on thursday, pouring any amount of money into this one is the last thing i want to do...i'm afraid that by the time i spend the money getting this fixed the right way, it might be not worth the money somebodys willing to pay for a 175k DX

Comment

What kind of car are you getting ?
          If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Comment

He's getting an Integra.

What spark plugs are you using? How tight are they? What do the threads on the one that keeps popping out look like? What do the threads in your cylinder head look like?

Comment

Working...
            X