Which vaf for Turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which vaf for Turbo?

Right now im running the bp26 vaf on 460cc rx7 n/a injectors. Im currently not having any problems but im concerned about the upgrade to the vf10. Do I really need a bigger vaf? If so rx7 turboII? or rx7 n/a to match the injectors? Im eventually gonna get some engine management, but for now what should I do?

Also when I did the vf10 swap. The inside of the manifold the carbon was like a rust color and the same on the back of the vj20 turbines. No black build up! I was shocked not to see a **** load of blk carbon. Even on the Corksport dp, clean! The rar runs pretty rich most of the time, its kinda smelly, but my tail pipe and bumper get caked with blk carbon. Im runnin the stock fuel pressure regulator for the 460cc injectors. And my afc controller settings are the same as BUGS. Im confused. I also have a catayltic converter.
    1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

GTX VAF is the same size as the RX7 VAF and both are larger than the stock NA BP VAF

Do you know what your EGTs are at?

Comment

if you can't get a GTX vaf, Get a RX7 B code vaf, I reccomend that if you get either of them to tap the AFM like the U code ( NA BP AFM) & insert the adjustable stop screw. this will prevent the AFM from going beyond its readable limits. Also a good idea for GTX ecu guys to help eliminate the boost cut.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
        if you can't get a GTX vaf, Get a RX7 B code vaf, I reccomend that if you get either of them to tap the AFM like the U code ( NA BP AFM) & insert the adjustable stop screw. this will prevent the AFM from going beyond its readable limits. Also a good idea for GTX ecu guys to help eliminate the boost cut.
        Can you do that to the bp05 one to help it? Can you use the VAF from a 626? I know it plugs in directly. Wasn't there something about its brushes though?
        Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

What about a toyota vaf? I know there similar. Mabe a Supra sensor?
          1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
            GTX VAF is the same size as the RX7 VAF and both are larger than the stock NA BP VAF

Do you know what your EGTs are at?

This is where i got my settings from.

But im only runnin the Apex-i Safc I, Bugs is running the II
            Are the settings still the same?
            I just want it to run right. Like I said my manifold and turbine had redish carbon.
            And my car uses alot of fuel.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Proto420
              What about a toyota vaf? I know there similar. Mabe a Supra sensor?
              the RX-7 A codes is bigger than the B and works, there has been a few BF guys that use it and i've seen one on a turbo BG
              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Remind me why you cant use the newer AFM from the RX7 say 91ish... wouldn't the flow thru work better than the flapper type??

Comment

Originally posted by Clean 4WD
                  Remind me why you cant use the newer AFM from the RX7 say 91ish... wouldn't the flow thru work better than the flapper type??
                  different style signal to the ECU
                  "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                  -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                  *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                  172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                  New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I have the SAFC I and mine was dyno tuned - I can post them up when I get home buth then again I have a chipped GTX ECU

The only diff between the I and II is that the I has 8 adjustment points and II has 12

Originally posted by Proto420
                    This is where i got my settings from.

But im only runnin the Apex-i Safc I, Bugs is running the II
                    Are the settings still the same?
                    I just want it to run right. Like I said my manifold and turbine had redish carbon.
                    And my car uses alot of fuel.

Comment

Well I fixed the first problem, which was the wrong fuel pressure regulator.
                      I had a regulator from a probe 2.2 turbo, cause I had tried those injectors in the begining of my build. But I forgot to change the regulator when I put in the Rx7
                      460cc injectors. I drove it around the streets and didnt really notice much difference but I can tell its runnin richer now.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Were the probe injectors just too small for the bg turbo? I have a set I was going to use on the NA since they only are rated at 330 cfm..

Comment

steve why did you use a probe FPR?
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                            steve why did you use a probe FPR?
                            Because before I got the 460cc injectors, and all bp26 turbo stuff. I wanted injectors that were close to the 330cc range. After I got them I found out they are rated at 275cc or so. Then I swapped them out for rx7 460 n/a injectors for the T-3 setup and I didnt finish that, and that's when I got my bp26 turbo stuff.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Clean 4WD
                              Were the probe injectors just too small for the bg turbo? I have a set I was going to use on the NA since they only are rated at 330 cfm..
                              The car boosted fine with those injectors, but I wanted to be sure everything was going to be fine. So I upgraded cause I like to drive my car hard.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X