Ever cut your muffler off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever cut your muffler off?

I also posted this on the Miata.net forums, since they utilize the same motor, and the community over there is huge. But, they have a different exhaust setup, so I would imagine it would sound different on a Miata.

My question is, has anyone ever cut the factory muffler off behind the rear axle and left the original piping? How loud is it, and how does it sound? I ask because I did this with my Saturn, and to my surprise, it sounded fantastic. It wasn't as loud as most aftermarket exhaust systems, and the tone was great and low. The Miata guys said this was mainly due to the fact that Saturns have huge resonators, and Miata's do not - they pretty much agreed that Miata's are real loud and sound like crap with no muffler. I was hoping that the Pro's resonator was larger to make it more bearable...

Tell me something good!!
    1990 Red NA6
    16.43@81mph
    15" Heliums | 195/50 ZE512's | 14° BTDC | DIY cowl induction | Front tower brace | BSP f/r subframe braces | Style bar | Redline Goods shift boot | Mazda6 shift knob | DIY mesh TSI's | Factory badging removed | JDM Roadster emblem | Pivot controller

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
    Unknown
    16° BTDC | Cone filter | HID conversion | Tinted taillights

Did it to my car back in the day, sounded great, added some power.

Comment

dumbest thing ever and im pretty sure its illegal in all states.
      Seth
      2010 Mazda3 i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by sfd
        technically not! as long as teh cat it there it will pass emissions. and as long at it doesn't exceed 95db then your safe. that is the general rule. i know oregan and washington are 95db atleaset. i have been pulled over a few times for exhaust told the cop i know you don't have a db tester and this car is under teh legal limit. they look at you confused when you know the laws better then them.

NEUMAN

Comment

Originally posted by sfd
          Adding a few hp for free and being able to actually hear the motor isn't dumb.

Comment

I did it today because I was putting on a new muffler. It sounded awesome, even with the SOCH motor. I felt like I was driving a race car.

Comment

Originally posted by emd645e3
              I did it today because I was putting on a new muffler. It sounded awesome, even with the SOCH motor. I felt like I was driving a race car.
              that is the same thing every honda guy thinks too.

NEUMAN

Comment

Hmmm. Not sure if I want to do this.. I don't exactly want to spend any money right now on an exhaust, but if its way too loud or obnoxious, I'll kind of need to. It's so tempting though.

I don't suppose anyone has any sound clips or videos, eh?
                1990 Red NA6
                16.43@81mph
                15" Heliums | 195/50 ZE512's | 14° BTDC | DIY cowl induction | Front tower brace | BSP f/r subframe braces | Style bar | Redline Goods shift boot | Mazda6 shift knob | DIY mesh TSI's | Factory badging removed | JDM Roadster emblem | Pivot controller

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
                Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by 1967cutlass
                  Adding a few hp for free and being able to actually hear the motor isn't dumb.
                  no, but you can do that with a muffler. There's minimal to no difference from a well designed muffler against no muffler in hp gains. same goes for cats. a gutted cat or no cat makes almost no power difference against a well designed high flow cat. give a try on a dyno, ive seen it myself on boosted cars.
                  Seth
                  2010 Mazda3 i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by sfd
                    no, but you can do that with a muffler. There's minimal to no difference from a well designed muffler against no muffler in hp gains. same goes for cats. a gutted cat or no cat makes almost no power difference against a well designed high flow cat. give a try on a dyno, ive seen it myself on boosted cars.
                    Um, aren't you the one that's running a gutted cat? Because if you are, its rather hypocritical to persecute someone for not running a muffler when you're not running a legit cat.

1990 Red NA6
                    16.43@81mph

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
                    Unknown

Comment

a few months after i got my protege my muffler fell off......and personally my car sounds so much better with my new 4.5 inch muffler rather than no muffler at all
                      My Car Domain
                      My VB Garage

1994 Protege LX

Cold Air Intake
                      Cat Back Exhaust

5 Speed Tranny Conversion.....Coming This Summer

Comment

Originally posted by sfd View Post
                        Yeah but a muffler costs money, and welding a muffler onto the stock exhaust system is a waste of time IMO since it's too small anyway.

Comment

Wat is the size of the stock pipping?
                          My Vouch Tread:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25276

My myspace:
                          http://www.myspace.com/haitianstreetracer

Comment

Originally posted by zoomtictac View Post
                            Um, aren't you the one that's running a gutted cat? Because if you are, its rather hypocritical to persecute someone for not running a muffler when you're not running a legit cat.

its gutted because it went bad. otherwise i run a normal high flow because it's required by law.

and cutlass yea it is/does, but that's why just skip to the end and get a full header-back setup.
                            Seth
                            2010 Mazda3 i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by sfd View Post
                              its gutted because it went bad. otherwise i run a normal high flow because it's required by law.

and cutlass yea it is/does, but that's why just skip to the end and get a full header-back setup.
                              I agree about skipping to the end, but I'm just saying if I couldn't afford a full exhuast I would rather have the cut off muffler than the stock system.

Comment

Working...
                              X