• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HaitianProtege View Post
    Wat is the size of the stock pipping?
    1.75"

Comment

my muffler fell off of my pro back in 2004 and it sounded like ga-bage... it was an SOHC though. My muffler sheared off of my SE-R earlier this year because an exhaust hanger failed. I rode around with it like that for a good 5 months and dreaded it.

If your muffler works why cut it off? The 0.0005 to 2 HP you MAY get is probably neglidgable compared to the extra noise of an I-4. The stock piping, I'm sure is already pretty restrictive and variable in size throughout so the reduction in backflow would most likely be minimal.

If your muffler is already falling off, fine... but if its good I don't really suggest it. Seems like a rice mod to me.

my utterly faded and opinionated $0.02
      1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
      1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
      2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
      2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Fair enough. I just can't get over how good my Saturn sounded, and it really DID make a difference on that car - good enough for a couple tenths down the 1320. However, exhaust sound level and quality is obviously subjective, so I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Lack of car money sucks.
        1990 Red NA6
        16.43@81mph
        15" Heliums | 195/50 ZE512's | 14° BTDC | DIY cowl induction | Front tower brace | BSP f/r subframe braces | Style bar | Redline Goods shift boot | Mazda6 shift knob | DIY mesh TSI's | Factory badging removed | JDM Roadster emblem | Pivot controller

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
        Unknown
        16° BTDC | Cone filter | HID conversion | Tinted taillights

Comment

and actually it is illegal in most states haveing the exhaust terminate underneath the car without being expelled away from the cabin is illegal exceptions being car that cam from the factory that way and pickup trucks where it can be terminated underneath the bed.

Comment

Hm two things,

1. If you actually CUT the pipe and REMOVE the muffler, it adds more than just "2" hp, and it also saves 15-20lbs.

2. It's not a permanent solution.

Comment

^ +1, agreed. ^

I don't think I'm going to cut it off though, I'm gunna hold off until I can get a system for it, or get some piping bent. And even if I did cut it off, I would have extended the pipe where the muffler was and put a modest tip on it. When I cut the muffler off on the Saturn, I didn't extend the pipe, and not only did it stink up the car sometimes, it left a nasty, thick film of exhaust crud all over the rear underbody of the car. Gross.
              1990 Red NA6
              16.43@81mph
              15" Heliums | 195/50 ZE512's | 14° BTDC | DIY cowl induction | Front tower brace | BSP f/r subframe braces | Style bar | Redline Goods shift boot | Mazda6 shift knob | DIY mesh TSI's | Factory badging removed | JDM Roadster emblem | Pivot controller

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
              Unknown

Comment

hack that ****!!!!!!!!! sounds good, or if you can, unbolt the muffler, see how it sounds that way, then u can always bolt it right back up.

Comment

Originally posted by fordpartsguy View Post
                  ...or if you can, unbolt the muffler, see how it sounds that way, then u can always bolt it right back up.
                  Hm, maybe I'll do that instead - I like that I'd be able to reverse it if necessary.
                  1990 Red NA6
                  16.43@81mph

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
                  Unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X