MX3 overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MX3 overheating

ok heres the deal, its the BP its too hot, i have 2 fans on the radiator, one of them comes on when the temp is whatever the switch is at, but also when i turn on the heater that same fan comes on, but when i turn it off if the temp is w/e it stays on, no biggie, but what is the other fan for?? should i install an aftermarket relay and have 1fan run all the time??? also what is the rad capacity of the MX3 versus the BP??? i have to keep adding water, i put in like 1/2 a gallon of coolant and then about maybe 1/4 to a 1/2 of water and i have added some to it everyday since, i keep filling the overflow tank and it sucks it all up. it doesnt boil over as bad now, i think the rad is finally getting full, like now, it is just hot but not steaming/boiling like the first day, and i just have the stock .9bar cap. also how long will the thermostat last with out being used, the motor sat like 7months without running, still coolant in it though, just never started, then like 1month dry. is it bad?? idk if the coolant is even getting circulated, i assume it is b/c the car still runs, and i have gone up the highway like 15miles and then back, and i played on the back roads a couple times, doing 1,2,3 gears and checking traction, also what do i need to do to change the coolant temp sending unit?? anything special?? also is there any other reason why my temp gauge is dead??? thanks alot

Originally posted by tunerguy View Post
    ok heres the deal, its the BP its too hot, i have 2 fans on the radiator, one of them comes on when the temp is whatever the switch is at, but also when i turn on the heater that same fan comes on, but when i turn it off if the temp is w/e it stays on, no biggie, but what is the other fan for?? should i install an aftermarket relay and have 1fan run all the time??? also what is the rad capacity of the MX3 versus the BP??? i have to keep adding water, i put in like 1/2 a gallon of coolant and then about maybe 1/4 to a 1/2 of water and i have added some to it everyday since, i keep filling the overflow tank and it sucks it all up. it doesnt boil over as bad now, i think the rad is finally getting full, like now, it is just hot but not steaming/boiling like the first day, and i just have the stock .9bar cap. also how long will the thermostat last with out being used, the motor sat like 7months without running, still coolant in it though, just never started, then like 1month dry. is it bad?? idk if the coolant is even getting circulated, i assume it is b/c the car still runs, and i have gone up the highway like 15miles and then back, and i played on the back roads a couple times, doing 1,2,3 gears and checking traction, also what do i need to do to change the coolant temp sending unit?? anything special?? also is there any other reason why my temp gauge is dead??? thanks alot
    The other, smaller fan, turns on when your AC compressor turns on.

Normally you are supposed to fill the radiator until full to the top...fill it 1/2 water 1/2 coolant until it reaches the top of the radiator cap. Squeeze the top hose to get air out of the radiator/system. Then, start the car and let it run with the cap off. The level might go down and air might come out. Just keep filling it back to the top. Once the radiator fan turns on, you're done. Fill the overflow to it's marked full line.

Hope that helps.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by tunerguy View Post
      The second, smaller fan is for the A/C condenser.

How much coolant/water have you added so far?

The t-stat might still be okay, but a new one only costs a few dollars, and its very easy to replace, so why question it? Just because your car runs, does not mean your coolant is circulating. Your engine would over heat pretty fast if your t-stat was stuck closed, and take a while to heat up if it was stuck open.

You need a wrench to change your coolant temp sending unit. How is the wiring, is the connector corroded?

Comment

Working...
      X