Car won't start . Help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car won't start . Help me out

Ok so my 94 protege lx started off by stumbling. It did that a couple of times. Then last week it turned off while I was driving but I was able to turn it back on. The next day it died on me while I was driving and I haven't been able to turn it on since. I did a diagnostic connector check and it gave me 2 blinks which means it pointed at the "Distributor NE signal" . I opened the distributor cap and found a bit of oil so I changed out the cap and rotor. I hope I don't have to replace the whole distributor cause that'll run me about $250. My car still doesn't start dunno what it could be any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    94 LX

a used disty can be had for $50 shipped, HiatianProtege is selling one in the for sale section.

check your spark plugs & fuel filter,
    check for spark & fuel all together.
    Check that the VAF connector is on correctly
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by TiKi View Post
      Ok so my 94 protege lx started off by stumbling. It did that a couple of times. Then last week it turned off while I was driving but I was able to turn it back on. The next day it died on me while I was driving and I haven't been able to turn it on since. I did a diagnostic connector check and it gave me 2 blinks which means it pointed at the "Distributor NE signal" . I opened the distributor cap and found a bit of oil so I changed out the cap and rotor. I hope I don't have to replace the whole distributor cause that'll run me about $250. My car still doesn't start dunno what it could be any suggestions would be much appreciated.
      I've got same problem - cleaning and securing ditributor connector solve this for few weeks, but yesterday it came on again(3 minutes after start, driving on acceleration) - looks like a distributor. I have to check again connector (267k on my Protege DX 1.8 SOHC). I'll be glad of any suggestions.

Comment

Not sure if this is the same case for the SOHC, but failed distributor's on the 94 DOHC's are a common problem. From what I understand, Mazda changed the type of CAS within the distributor in the 94's (and perhaps later 93's??). It puts out the same signal as the earlier 90-93's, but it is not as 'rugged'. Optical vs Hall effect.

Anyways, if you can get a distributor off a '90 - early 93, that should fix your problem My 91 disty has given me no problems.

Wish I knew when they made the change..... all I know is that the 94's are pretty much a given to fail sooner or later - if they haven't already.
        Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

If you have oil in your distributor, you should replace it anyways.

Comment

Working...
          X