timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing

i was messin around under the hood today and found that my distributer was pretty loose, the guy i bought the car from put a new head on it and apparently didnt tighten it down, kinda makes me think what else he didnt do. anyway i tightened it down where it was and my car picked up like poop, like honda slow. so i bumped it up a little, dont know how much degree wise, i was on the side of the road, and now it runs better than ever. so heres my question, how much of an advance can i run before i have to use premium?

I have mine advanced to only 14* and I run 89 octane just to be on the safe side. Try running 89 octane and bumping it up to 18*. If you hear any pinging, run 91.

Comment

you guys disconnect the vacuum advance when timing the dist?

Comment

There is no vacuum advance on a BG. You have to jump the "ten" and "ground" points in the diagnostic connector under the hood. If you don't it will runn really wierd. And make sure the motor is fully warmed up.

As far as octane: I run mid-grade fuel all the time on 10 degrees. Like previously stated, if you hear it ping retard the timing or up the octane!
        Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

Yup, no vacuum advance here. Put it in base timing mode though.

Comment

im gonna get at it again soon, couldnt find the connector in the dark last night

Comment

Just FYI, it is located in the corner between the battery and the windshield.
              Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

Working...
              X