Auto to manual swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto to manual swap?

How difficult is it to swap an the trans in a '94 Protege from Auto To manual? Has anyone done this before? I know everything I need, but would I have to drill and mount everything, or would it be plug and play?

i did it on one of my EGT's(the only one that was an auto i own 5 EGT's), once you get all the parts and start doing it, you will see it really is not that hard. everthing bolts right in.
    thanks ryan
    5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

Many people have done it before. Just get everything you need, and swap it in. The level of difficulty all depends on the extent of your experience and knowledge.

Comment

It currently dosn't matter now, as I decided not to buy the auto car. Thanks anyway, guys.

Comment

G-series tranny with B8-ME

I have a '94 DX with an auto tranny. My eventual plan is to replace both the motor and tranny with the BP and G-series, respectively. My immediate concern is the tranny as it is very leaky and slips and is just a piece of crap. Can the G-series bolt to the B8-ME or is it strictly compatible with the BP only? Thanks!

Comment

The DOHC and SOHC motors share the same block, correct? If so, then the tranny and bell housing from a DOHC should work with the SOHC, right? Maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by cat34evr View Post
              The DOHC and SOHC motors share the same block, correct? If so, then the tranny and bell housing from a DOHC should work with the SOHC, right? Maybe?
              Yes, the blocks are the same.

Comment

wat all is acctually needed to do the swap? i can guess tranny(of course) clutch assembly.... flywheel.. clutch pedal assembly... but those r obvious parts..... but wat i really would like to kno is... is there any electrical conectors to my auto that r gonna screw with my car when i do the swap?.... and if so does that mean i have to change the entire harness or wat?

Comment

sorry for the old post..
                  Any updates on auto-to-manual swaps?

I have a 4wire plug on my now manual tranny and there are two plugs on the body harness with at least 2 wires..what do i do?

Comment

Originally posted by Mackmazda View Post
                    sorry for the old post..
                    Any updates on auto-to-manual swaps?

I have a 4wire plug on my now manual tranny and there are two plugs on the body harness with at least 2 wires..what do i do?
                    I think i got it..there are two wires on the auto tranny plug that need to be connected..only thing is it will start in any gear.

Comment

Just look at the wiring diagrams guys. I did an auto to manual swap on my 4wd going from USDM to JDM tranny without the diff lock at the same time and there is nothing complecate: either swap harnesses completely or cut off some wires.

1. Cut off the tranny control module wires under the dash.
                      2. Pull back the wires going to the tranny back into the cabin and connect two of them to the starter switch (on clutch pedal) Leave the 2 back up wires where they are, they connect to the backup switch on the manual tranny as well (i think they are red and black/yellow)
                      3. Add clutch switch and neutral switch wires
                      4. There are some other wires that you need to connect together under the dash but I don't remember, just look at the wiring diagrams

P.S. Manual BG cars start in any gear as long as you hold the clutch pedal.

Comment

ok, so I would like to know, is the shifter and linkage on a 2nd gen protege or a sephia the same as on a 1st gen? I looked far a while and couldn't find anything on it. I'm having troble finding a 1st gen with a 5-speed to take the shifter and the linkage out nor am I having any luck with the EGT's. BG's are not very common around here.

Comment

the 1st and 2nd gen are not the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X