Can the 4 speed use Mercon V fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the 4 speed use Mercon V fluid?

I'm planning on changing the tranny fluid and filter on my 93 Protege some time after Xmas and hopefully it'll cure or lessen the occasional shifting problem I'm having. I was changing my oil today and the tranny pan doesn't look that hard to remove. I've already priced a filter kit at Canadian Tire for $31.49, now I'm trying to decide which ATF to use. Would I be better off using a cheap Dex3 fluid and adding some Lubegard Platinum (already ordered and on the way) or would it be better to buy some Mercon V/Dex3 compatible fluid and use that? Tech2000 Mercon V/Dex3 ATF is $4.98 a quart. I need this car to last at least a year, I like the thing so I want to keep it a while. The Protege is my 5th car since September '05, I'm getting tired of paying 14% tax on cars I buy, and I think my insurance agent is getting annoyed with me for changing cars on my policy so much.

well since mercon V and dexron 3 are completly different fluids i cant tell you it should work but i cant be 100% sure never can be without checking. personnally id go with mobil 1 multivehicle synthetic with lubegard
    mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

I suppose I could just shoot an email to Lubegard themselves and ask them.

Comment

The FSM calls for 6.7 qts. of Dexron II or M-III.

Comment

Is that the pan capacity or total tranny capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by Infinitrium View Post
            Is that the pan capacity or total tranny capacity?
            I'd say total pan. You obviously can't drain the entire transmission, as you can't drain the torque converter.

I'd start with 6, or maybe even less, start it, and go from there.

Comment

Would you recommend doing a flush via the cooler lines?

Comment

Originally posted by Infinitrium View Post
                Would you recommend doing a flush via the cooler lines?
                Wouldn't hurt.

Depends on the condition of the fluid, and how often/when the last time it was serviced.

Comment

Working...
                X