Water Pump Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Pump Madness

Ok, tomorrow im going to be replacing my water pump, but im not sure on a few things. I need to know if im going to have to buy a tool to turn the crank (to line up the timing belt) that and am i going to want to lower my engine, or raise it? I was looking at it and i know its gonna be a pita, but i need to get it done and dont want to pay some astronomical price. I have a few printouts of step by step instructions but it doesnt tell me what tools, and lifting or lowering the engine etc. Any help would be awesome.

when I did mine, I didnt have to lower the engine or lift it at all.

Its a pretty straight forward process, the hardest part for me was getting the SOB back to TDC. That was a real pita for some reason.
    Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruo View Post
      I need to know if im going to have to buy a tool to turn the crank (to line up the timing belt)
      Nope, the engine is tiny enough that you can actually turn the crankshaft on a socket on the end of the crank. That cracks me up - try doing that on my Cadillac's 6.3L engine and you'll shear the crank pulley bolt off It's better for the engine to turn it the correct direction (more for the oil pump), so try to ensure you get that correct. Removing the accessory belts first makes turning the engine easier, obviously.

Like 91ProtegeLX said, you shouldn't have to lift or lower the engine.

Comment

Set your timing marks up b4 you remove the old belt and you won't have to make much of an ajustment. Its going to be tight in there but you won't have to drop or raise the engine. Have a friend help you. After you turn the motor to setup the timing marks have a friend sit in the car holding the brakes and put it in 5th gear(works like a charm) that's plenty to hold the motor from turning when you remove that crank bolt.
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

awesome, thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X