B6 Head and transmission questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B6 Head and transmission questions.

My dad has finally agreed to sell me the '88 323, for $750. Before everyone says "turbo it!", I'm not going to. This car will be my daily driver/snow car/hauler, etc, and my dad just spent like $250 on exhaust parts and other things to fix the car.

So I was thinking, I could do a DOHC head swap. But I'm confused...which one is the best: B6 from the MX-3 or B6T head? Pros, cons, etc? What all would be involved, just the head/valve cover/timing belt, what about the intake manifold, what about the ECU?

Now then, the automatic has decided not to shift to overdrive anymore, and I wanted to do a 5 speed swap anyway...which transmission should I get? Are all of the B6 transmissions the same, or will a G-box work, I have no idea.

I have no place to do the transmission unless my dad decides to help me, but I don't know if he'll be willing to...he can get it done in a day no problem, he did the swap in my brother's '87 626, and I know that it would take me forever to do it on my own, and I'm not even sure I could do it myself.

I asked on Mazda323Performance forums but that place is slow, and I'm bored today so I figured I could ask here and see what everyone says.

Can't wait to be driving around in this beast again.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Welcome to the wonderful world of the BF as a beater! From what i recall in the end trying to swap over a DOHC head is more work and what not then just bolting a B6T in there but then your F series tranny will blow anyways soooo... Umm and yeah a F series fits from 86-89 if i remember correctly. Also a 87-90 tracer has all the same parts as well for MOST things but NOT the fuel injection, etc. which the original year or two was different for some reason.
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Yeah I know about the Tracer and Capri parts...as the engine in my BF only has 77K miles and some new parts, I don't want to rip it out and put a B6T in it, because then I'd have to redo the exhaust, and that's money right down the drain. I might be going to the junkyard on Tuesday so I'll have to look at the MX-3s and see what all I can do.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid View Post
        Yeah I know about the Tracer and Capri parts...as the engine in my BF only has 77K miles and some new parts, I don't want to rip it out and put a B6T in it, because then I'd have to redo the exhaust, and that's money right down the drain. I might be going to the junkyard on Tuesday so I'll have to look at the MX-3s and see what all I can do.
        talk to Gro harlem, when I borrowed his engine lift to do my BP swap, a buddy and him where in the proccess of assembling a B6-D im not sure of the details though
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Working...
        X