DX LX AWD trannies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DX LX AWD trannies

I am seriously considering an engine swap... mainly because i have the sohc engine in my 93 protege. would anyone happen to know if the lx engine(dohc) bolts to the dx tranny i am wanting to stay with a manual and the donor car i am looking at buying has an automatic. also i am curious if the early AWD trannies are worth the trouble. Thanks
    Last edited by hit25cal; 04-07-2007, 10:14 PM.
    Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger
    Project Car - looking for a clean AWD Protege, or maybe a monster Miata donor

engines don't bolt to engines.

however, any engine and any transmission in a BG will bolt up. you might be better off using certain ones vs. others, but they will all bolt up.

Comment

Thanks guess I need to proof read more...

So if I wanted to do and LX engine swap, I should be able to keep my DX tranny to get by on until I can afford to get a built lx tranny, axles and wheel hubs w/the bigger brakes... I got that right?

btw why does every one call them "bg's"
      Last edited by hit25cal; 04-07-2007, 10:20 PM.
      Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger

Comment

the 1990 - 1994 protege/323 is the BG Chassis.

You will be able to keep your tranny, but you're better off upgrading to the LX G-Series while your engine will be out, the DX F-Series is weaker.

Comment

Originally posted by hit25cal View Post
          also i am curious if the early AWD trannies are worth the trouble. Thanks
          if you're thinking of going AWD, the best bet is to cross your fingers and pray to the AWD gods that a clean rust free AWD pro drops in your lap.

93' 5spd DX
          R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by esmacmil View Post
            the 1990 - 1994 protege/323 is the BG Chassis.

You will be able to keep your tranny, but you're better off upgrading to the LX G-Series while your engine will be out, the DX F-Series is weaker.
            hell yea man. my stock dx tranny blew out and left me stranded...

Comment

like most people on here i am tring to do this on a budget... i thought why not start with the engine(rebuilt and bored LX with head work)... then the suspension(eibach)...then the tranny, cv axles and brakes...

I just wanted to do the engine first then work up or down as it would be... now that i know that it will bolt up to the existing 5 spd i can find the engine without having to worry about it having the right setup otherwise

also there are different axles for the auto's and the manual's do you guys know if they had the same splines? is one just stronger to handle the extra stresses of a manual?

Thanks everyone
              Last edited by hit25cal; 04-09-2007, 02:02 AM.

Comment

If you're willing to drive to Augusta GA you could pick up an LX motor/tranny from the pullapart for less than $200.
                '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

if you use the f series box, automatic axles from both the lx and dx will fit.
                  the passenger side axle for a lx automatic uses a jackshaft setup, so that axle wont actually work unless you use the jackshaft also.
                  thats what i did.

93' 5spd DX
                  R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by lscrx View Post
                    If you're willing to drive to Augusta GA you could pick up an LX motor/tranny from the pullapart for less than $200.
                    If it is a manual I am interested... will you cut me a deal on other parts too? like the axles and brake calipers? i am wanting the bigger lx 4 wheel discs

Comment

Originally posted by hit25cal View Post
                      like most people on here i am tring to do this on a budget... i thought why not start with the engine(rebuilt and bored LX with head work)... then the suspension(eibach)...then the tranny, cv axles and brakes...

I just wanted to do the engine first then work up or down as it would be... now that i know that it will bolt up to the existing 5 spd i can find the engine without having to worry about it having the right setup otherwise

also there are different axles for the auto's and the manual's do you guys know if they had the same splines? is one just stronger to handle the extra stresses of a manual?

Thanks everyone

it just makes more sense to do the transmission/axles/clutch while the motor is out of the car... it will save you much more work down the road.
                      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
                      X