Running engine after draining oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running engine after draining oil?

What's the general consensus on running the engine for a few seconds after draining the oil when doing an oil change? I tried it today after the oil drained to the point it was just a slow drip, only turning it on for about 5-7 seconds, and it started to drain a small constant stream for another 3-4 minutes before going back to a slow drip. Is it horrible for my engine to start doing this every oil change?
    Not the sports page Not a magazine

yes.
    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadoken View Post
      What's the general consensus on running the engine for a few seconds after draining the oil when doing an oil change? I tried it today after the oil drained to the point it was just a slow drip, only turning it on for about 5-7 seconds, and it started to drain a small constant stream for another 3-4 minutes before going back to a slow drip. Is it horrible for my engine to start doing this every oil change?
      That sounds like a bad idea to me unless you have a way to prime the engine before starting it after an oil change. I'm probably wrong, but someone will say so. It takes about 3 oil changes to cycle oil out of your motor or at least that is what I was told by my mechanic, so I wouldn't worry about it regardless.

Later,
      MrH.

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

Comment

i had the personal pleasure of totaling out a probe after it threw a rod threw the block after only running 20 seconds without oil. (techically it ran 20 seconds without oil which was enough to "blue" the steel on the rod, the rod went after 5 minutes of driving with oil) the shop (stiffylube) brought it to us to see if we would fix it instead of totaling it, the owner of the car plained on suing.

so personally the difference in oil isn't worth the possible unhappiness that might accure
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

a horrible idea. friction, breaking FTL.

Comment

i would not advise that to my enemy. definitly not a good idea
            91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

That's all I needed to hear. I read about it somewhere a few weeks ago when I was searching for something and thought I'd give it a try, I don't care much about this engine since it only needs to last a couple more months but I guess it's the last time I'll do it.
              Not the sports page Not a magazine

Comment

I know that most oil pumps need to be primed . so running it would push out what oil that keeps it primed.
                Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

Originally posted by Hadoken View Post
                  That's all I needed to hear. I read about it somewhere a few weeks ago when I was searching for something and thought I'd give it a try, I don't care much about this engine since it only needs to last a couple more months but I guess it's the last time I'll do it.
                  A few weeks ago.............so April fools maybe?

Someone was trying to make a funny.

Comment

Insane

Comment

Working...
                    X